1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear end noise

sp84 Jul 4, 2011

1. sp84

sp84 Member

Please help while driving yesterday I noticed a rear end noise between 60 and 80 mph and slowing down from them speeds if you take the car out of gear the noise is still there

2. Ginge

Ginge It's never fast enough !

What kind of noise? like a clunk or a scrape or a grind or a whirr??

3. sp84

sp84 Member

Sorry its sounds like a Whirr noise

4. Steveo_A3_1.8t

Steveo_A3_1.8t Member

Could be a wheel bearing, jack up the back, take the handbrake off and check for play in the rear wheels. However if your car is a quattro it may be something else like the diff, but I don't know much about quattros. Worn or perished tyres can also cause noise in my experience

Steve

5. Ginge

Yeah, maybe bearing but If it only happens at specific fast speeds I'd imagine it's not too bad, also have you filled up the tires at a peterol station recently? I have read about getting water in the tyres from them and that causing a vibration or whirring noise. Does the sound change at different speeds or is it the same?

6. sp84

sp84 Member

Nope it's the same noise it disappears above 80 and below 60

7. Steveo_A3_1.8t

Steveo_A3_1.8t Member

Have you got the same four tyres allround??

8. Ginge

My guess would be something a little loose that just resonates something else near it at that speed? sorry i cant be any more use :)

9. sp84

sp84 Member

Yep same Tyres

10. Steveo_A3_1.8t

Steveo_A3_1.8t Member

Try swapping the front and rear tyres over maybe?? Also maybe worth checking the centre exhaust hanger.

11. sp84

sp84 Member

Could it be the diff

12. Steveo_A3_1.8t

Steveo_A3_1.8t Member

Yeah like I said mate, it could be but I don't own, or know alot about quattro's so dont wanna give you a false diagnosis, but I'm sure somebody who knows alot more about them than me will read this thread soon and help you out :)

13. The Doctor

The Doctor Well-Known Member

My thought too. Sort of like a faint whirring/whining noise?