Rear discs to match Brembo fronts?

CycleSi

Reaction score
Fitted the Brembo GT front brake package earlier in the year and they are awesome. But now, the standard rear S3 discs look a bit small and weedy so I would like to get new larger one's for the rear which match the front and are drilled. I will also need some adaptors to 'space' the calipers out so l can retain the original calipers and therefore just buy the discs and adaptors.

What are my choices and has anyone done this already? I assume my best bet is to simply buy a pair of rear discs from Brembo?

Lastly what size would you recommend so they look bigger but don't upset the braking balance?

i believe ECS do a 'stage 1' rear brake kit, which consists of 308mm rear discs, and new carriers to space the standard calier out to match the increased disc size :)

ChriS3 has them on his S3, they look awesome

Does the kit just simply bolt on or is there some grinding/filing to be done. Can I retain the existing hoses, etc?

Thanks for all your help.....

I have the Brembo GT kit up front and ECS stage1 rears on my car, brake balance doesn't seem to be effected under hard braking at CastleCoombe Circuit a month ago! I did it more for looks though, I'm sure a set of uprated disks and pads would do the same job if I'm being honest.

CycleSi said:
Does the kit just simply bolt on or is there some grinding/filing to be done. Can I retain the existing hoses, etc?

Thanks for all your help.....

Kiy comes with 308mm 2 piece disks and a spacer bracket to extend and space the standard calipers, handbrbrake cable would need adjusting and you need to cut off the dirt shielt for the new disks to clear.

bolt on, but they're not cheap

I think the rears only do 20% of the breaking so I wouldn't have thought they would have too much of an effect - especially as you retain the rear caliper.

Aky said:
I think the rears only do 20% of the breaking so I wouldn't have thought they would have too much of an effect - especially as you retain the rear caliper.

Exactly, but the increase brake force has not made my rears lock up and increase my braking distances. Going from 256mm(I think?) to 308mm is a big difference don't you think?, even with the same caliper, my fronts are 323mm. My MOT tester also commented that the brakes are rather good at the rear...

So Sarah did you go to the Oxford Edition show on Sunday? I saw Awesome had a few car's up there and some banners! :)

Hi
No I was not invited :( but then had a german themed party to go to Saturday night , so was a bit erm......... and they know what I am like (bear with a sore head after a night on the pop)
But Dean was there with one of our technicians , did you stop for a chat? that would keep him busy
Did you enjoy it? Dean did
Sarah

Given the VERY strong £ to $ rate:

Rear brake kit direct from ECS is $499.

They charge $151 for international shipping.

So $651, then add 11% import charge for UK customs and 17.5% UK VAT makes £402.90. No £20 charge as its UPS not Royal Mail.

£499 + VAT is £586.32

Buying direct would save £183.42

Something to think about, that would buy a set of very decent rear pads and still have more than £100 spare.

Dave_Bayern said:
Given the VERY strong £ to $ rate:

Rear brake kit direct from ECS is $499.

They charge $151 for international shipping.

So $651, then add 11% import charge for UK customs and 17.5% UK VAT makes £402.90. No £20 charge as its UPS not Royal Mail.

£499 + VAT is £586.32

Buying direct would save £183.42

Something to think about, that would buy a set of very decent rear pads and still have more than £100 spare.

On the 1.8T is it worth buying a kit like this to the rear discs ?
I'm upgrading my front discs from 288mm to 312mm.
When I read this post I thought that I might also upgrade the rear discs.
Any ideas on this ?

Thanks

No, its not really even worth it on the S3.

Given the braking bias normal S3 rears with decent pads will be fine.

ON the A3 1.8T maybe get some 256mm vented rears as per S3, for which you'll need the calipers, carriers etc from a donor car.

luis.filipe said:
On the 1.8T is it worth buying a kit like this to the rear discs ?
I'm upgrading my front discs from 288mm to 312mm.
When I read this post I thought that I might also upgrade the rear discs.
Any ideas on this ?

Thanks

I wouldn't really bother with this kit, unless you have 200bhp+, and even then, the standard rears are upto the job, but if you have big turbo with 300bhp+, then I'd recommend a set after you have uprated the fronts. In the case with Quattro cars like the S3 and 1.8T Quattro Sport, there's more weight at the rear with the added rear transmission, so probably a bit more benificial, but only after uprated fronts also in my opinion.

I paid £350 for mine off a member on here, it was brand new and never fitted, so bargain. :)

I agree that the rear axle does so little braking - something between 20% and 10% - that you are far better off spending the money up front. Big brakes on the back are more of an aesthetic mod.

AwesomeSarah said:
Hi
No I was not invited :( but then had a german themed party to go to Saturday night , so was a bit erm......... and they know what I am like (bear with a sore head after a night on the pop)
But Dean was there with one of our technicians , did you stop for a chat? that would keep him busy
Did you enjoy it? Dean did
Sarah

No I did not stop for a chat, sorry! I had a good afternoon thanks, did not make it to the party saturday night! They where lacking any selection of what you could eat, which sucked it was burger or cheese burger! :faint:

A load of lovely Golf as expected, Mk1 being the right choice and a few Audi's spread about. Bentley and Maybach wheels seem to be the flavour of the year! :ermm: