Rear bumper and the black lower trim for A4/S4

Dan Yeates

Audi S4 B5 Avant
Reaction score
Hi,

When fitting my new towbar last night we discovered we had to remove a semi-circle section from the reinforcing beam inside the rear bumper. This we did by drilling around the grinding the rest out.

Unfortunately the drill slipped once it had gone through the metal and has drilled through the black lower skirt on the bottom of the bumper! :(

Question is, can this be replaced on it's own - the black lower lip? Does it come off? Are they expensive or am I better off buying a used bumper from eBay and robbing it from there, or will I need a whole bumper? I wasn't sure if it was glued on or just clipped?

Also, is the rear bumper the same on the A4 as it is on the S4? Mine is an S4.

Thanks

Dan

S4 rear bumper is different to regular A4 item.

I was of the impression that the S4 rear bumper has an integral apron, that isn't a seperate item like regular A4, but I may be wrong.

what year? the prefacelift with the smaller black section, same width as the exhaust, is all one piece. facelift, with the longer black strip full width of the bumper, i believe is a seperate removeable piece. have a look underneath round the back side of the bumper, you'll soon see.

Oh, and both are different to the standard a4 bumper

Stapo, S4 facelift rear bumper's one piece too.

The black section is not removeable - I have the same on my car.

Stapo, I think you're confusing pre and post-facelift!

Pre-facelift - full width integral apron, though color coded
Post-facelift - satin black integral apron, just slightly wider than the exhaust cut out.

The pre-facelift version is obsolete, has been for over 2 years now.

i have an A4 1.8tqs facelift rear bumper for an avant if you want it! cluttering up my garage at the moment!

^^^ That's the one, Aragorn.

Craig's early version is NLA.

i prefer the later style! The avant would look nice with one, but my spare money needs to be going to getting on with the landrover (and possibly getting thistrack car) rather than modifying the daily driver!

Oddly though, the S4 rear bumper, and regular A4 item are the same price from Audi.

My mistake, I'd just seen a thread where a guy had removed the facelift lip and made a carbon one, guess he chopped it off!

They maybe the same price from Audi, but I bet they're not cheap, and 2nd hand S4 bumpers are rare as rocking horse......been tryng to find one for ages.

try german ebay stapo:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Audi-S4-Stossfaenger-Stossstange-hinten_W0QQitemZ160306944962QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r?hash=item160306944962&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1229|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318for one :)Stossfaenger/Stossstange are the words i use for bumper :)

it took me a while but you just have to keep trawling the classifieds on teh audi forums.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye out, looks like I should've got an avant, a few of them about, but no saloons yet.

Thanks peeps

Out of interest, how much do used ones go for, sedan or Avant?

^^^ Blimey!

I wish I was at the bottom of the skip you slung it into!

i got two fairly good condition facelift S4 bumpers front and rear and paid about £175 all in. had to collect though
got the full sides kit for £40 all clips and strips included

surely its not as black an white as pre/post face lift as by aragorns pictures i definitly have a pre face lift rear bumper on my facelift T reg S4 (going by headlights, door handles etc. not 100% clued up on the changes yet)
i was after the 'bulged' rear bumper an also assumed it was an additional peice to the bumper! looks like i'll need ta scour the net too if its a one peice!