1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear bttm control arms

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by 666markyboy, Jan 22, 2010.

1. 666markyboy

666markyboy Well-Known Member

[Jan 22, 2010]
    Just trawling the net as you do when bored and came across this.... http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=17576855

Was this issue resolved ??? anyone had it happen to them ??? also what makes the S3 wider at the rear than the normal TQS..?? is it these control arms, Hubs, or just a different offset on the wheels ??
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. tompearson

tompearson It's all in bits

[Jan 22, 2010]
    There was a recall, but I have had this happen twice (once at 30+ accelerating off a roundabout which was interesting, the other time in a low speed reverse) - This was after the remedial work of the recall had been performed according to Audi's records - this was done prior to my car ownership but I think I had some docs for it as well.

I had a long and fruitless argument with Audi - especially as prior to (about 6 weeks) the first failure it had a service and MOT at Audi after which I went back to them stating the handling had gone a little funny and they claimed that nothing was wrong.

They stated that the failures I had were due to the rear bushes ceasing (not raised at MOT or service) and despite evidence that the tie rod had initially cracked (part of the split was rusted the rest not - about 6 weeks worth of rust in fact) they claimed that when I took the car back to them with what I described as dodgy handling they "should not be expected to check the point at which each wheel connects to the car" (I think they had just taken it around a roundabout and back again) - They even had the gall to suggest that if I thought the handling was dodgy I shouldn't have been driving it - despite the fact they had apparently checked it and stated that it was fine.

I clearly disagreed with Audis view here about how they should have checked my car. I suggested that a seized bush should have been picked up by them at the MOT (as my worn front ones were) or subsequent check when I returned the car. I also pointed out that this is quite a dramatic failure given the cause is simply a bush needing replacement. I gave up on the whole affair as it was like hitting my head against a brick wall. I have never used an this Audi dealer since (in fact I only go to a dealer nowadays when they are the only supplier of a part I require).

I also no longer used the independent who did the initial repair as they failed to replace the bushes and the failure occurred again a month or two later. I ended up getting AMD (the old Bicester one) to replace all suspension with H&R springs and Koni sport dampers and adjustable tie bars as a spring had also cracked and I fancied an upgrade - not sure if it was related. I fortunately haven't seen the problem since (this was 4 years ago now)

The issue I had would definitively appear to be bush related, but the recall was to do with to ball joints as far as I know. So I don't think it was actually the same thing, but I'm not well enough informed to state this as fact. I also still don't really understand what a seized bush means to be honest - perphas someone here can enlighten me!
  4. 666markyboy

666markyboy Well-Known Member

[Jan 22, 2010]
    Right thanks for that.... very informative..... i think i need to get under the car and check for and signs of problems as 90 % of my driving is on the motorway and should one of those go on a busy motorway i can only imagine fatality's.... so i guess the bush seizing adds some bending load onto the end of the tiebar and then fatigue sets in and it just snaps ? would you say that the dodgy handling you had would lead you to think it had cracked but not yet fully broken ?? quite worrying this...