Rear brakes what to get...

wagon

**** locked and ready to rock
Reaction score
hi, ive tried to search, but its disabled.

does anyone have any recomendations for rear brakes... i need to get mine changed.

if someone could shed some light that would be great. oh and some rough prices as what im expected to pay.

ta

chris

i used several different brands with my A3...mintex included....you know what? for wear and braking the OEM did a better all round job than any i had...granted i wasnt using black diamonds, but for the price OEM in my experience are hard to beat

But £114.21 collected vs £55.99 delivered is a big difference (especially if you're lazy like me).... I'm going to give them a blast and see what they're like.

Last edited:
i only tried them on my A3 so can only assume the same.... but i would say they OEM's seemed to last twice as long for me and didnt suffer from fading nowhere near as much....might be different for the S3, although i dont pay full OEM price :)

that said we do have a resident Audi garage that will post don't we?

A chap had a nice set on his TT yesterday, he mentioned that you can get drilled & vented 300mm discs with brackets that use the original callipers, you can get them from the TT shop for £300 it looked really good on, and gives you less nosedive on hard braking.

won't that make the back more unstable if you havent upgraded the fronts?

I had a pair of mintex pads once and i didn't like them. They used to fade and wear very quickly but i did drive quite hard. I supose if your not going to drive like a looney (but still under the speed limit)like me then its worth a try.

EBC rear discs here with mintex pads

Yes it would, I should have mentioned he had 345 at front as well.

I have also heard that the OEM ones are pretty decent too, if you are running standard power.

Nilz i tried several different brands over the years to cut costs on mine.. the difference between OEM was immense...altho never compared against the likes of greenstuff which would have been interesting

Hmmm, know what you mean, I have thought about upgrading to the various other brands etc, but dont really see the point, if what I have does the job already at a decent price.

same boat as me mate..... i hate spending pointless money on this car, especially now it has over 100k on the clock..... if it were an 8P then id be more enthusiastic cos i know id be keeping it a lot longer

I bought Mintex discs / pads for my front & they seem to perform better than standard & theres less dust. I also need to do my rear discs / pads in the next few weeks, i was going to go for Mintex however Rosses link to VWspares seems pretty reasonable, £33 all in. The rear last for years anyway !

UPDATE - Just went to VWspares added all to cart & after delivery & VAT its £45.00 think i ll go with the mintex set £56.00 delivered.

Last edited: