1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rear brakes upgrade

Discussion in 'Handling' started by quattrov6tdi, Nov 13, 2007.

1. quattrov6tdi

quattrov6tdi Member

[Nov 13, 2007]
    hi all

does any body know if it is possible to fit disc and calipers from an s4 on to a b6 a4 the discs measure 300mm

i just trying to make discs same size on front and back

any info greatly appreciated

regards
    :respekt:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. scrupes

scrupes bloody great extension bodger

[Nov 13, 2007]
    If you were to upgrade the rear brakes you would most certainly make the car unstable under braking as the brakes would remove the front brake bias.

you'd have to upgrade the fronts as well to overcome this, besides it's the front brakes that do most of the work anyway

you'd be better off buying grooved or drilled discs if you were after something more pleasing to the eye but they wouldnt make that much difference to braking performance so you keep the front brake bias
    hope this helps:thumbsup:
  4. denzelburner

denzelburner Member

[Nov 15, 2007]
    I'd agree with scrupes, if you had the same sized rear disc, it would effectivly act as a handbrake, so when you went into a corner and decided to brake mid-way through, the backend might decide to try and overtake the front end, which wouldn't be ideal. The rough setup would be a bias of around 70% front and 30% rear. The front brakes should usually always have more braking power than the rear because the weight transfer during braking loads the front tyres and unloads the rear tyres.
    The only way round it if you are really desperat to do this would be to add a dual master cylinder setup, which you would usually see on rally and race cars. This would then make it possible to separately control the front and rear brake bias. This option is expensive, and I wouldn't recommend it if you're just going for asthetics
    Hope this is helpful
  5. quattrov6tdi

quattrov6tdi Member

[Nov 15, 2007]
    thanks for both yer replies

i also have the front brake of the s4 so if i put them on this will this solve the problem of distribution

regards
    c:respekt:
  6. scrupes

scrupes bloody great extension bodger

[Nov 16, 2007]
    As i remember it: B5 variant S4 brakes won't fit a B5 A4 or A4 quattro as the hubs have differing caliper mounts on them. I have been told that the B6 S4 and A4's have the same mount points! this is not gospel though. You would also need the S4's calipers and caliper carriers, so if they are off a B6 S4 you may be lucky.

If you fitted both the front and rear brakes from a S4 to your car this would solve the balance problem as you have fitted the full set
  7. james0808

james0808 Active Member

[Nov 17, 2007]
    I had B5 S4 front brakes on my B6 A4,really made a big difference in the braking performance.
    If the B5 S4 ones wont fit a B5 A4 neither will the B6.