1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rear brake upgrade

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Plunky, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Plunky

Plunky Member

I have a 1.8t a3. already have the uprated front brakes, with the s3 carriers to hold the bigger discs.
    is there an upgrade similar to the front for the rear brakes?

cheers

Liam
  2. emery1990

emery1990 Active Member

hello mate, cant sp3eak for your rear brakes, but how much does the bigger discs etc improve braking, im aw3aiting my discs then getting it all fitted. I heard that because rear brakes only take 10% of braking, that only a set of decent pads would be enough. and an expensive upgrade wouldnt be money well spent.
  3. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

Yep, I concur with emery1990. The rear brakes do so little that a decent set of pads is all you need.
  4. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

Rear disks on an S3 is same size I think, but they are vented instead of solid disks, and the calipers are slightly wider to accomodate.
  5. Imteyaz

Imteyaz 6th Gear

Golf4 V5 rear brakes with 256mm vented disks are a straight fit, although you will have to cut away the lip on the brake dust shield (or bend them back a little) so they don't foul.
  6. Plunky

Plunky Member

hi, i'm sorry but i couldnt tell you how much of an improvement the bigger brakes were because i bought then car with them on. however, i have been informed they are a very worth while modification to do!