1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Brake Pads

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Alan from Oz, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Alan from Oz

Alan from Oz New Member

[Aug 19, 2014]
    Hi , can anyone tell me? How to retract the rear pistons . Spent sometime on it last night trying to winding them back in , cant get them to retract far enough? Any suggestions.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. Lukeyb

Lukeyb Member

[Aug 19, 2014]
    When I did the rear pads I just took the lid off the brake reservoir and wound them back in with a wind back tool, they were a bit hard to get all the way but they did eventually. I did all corners at once and ended up having to syphon a bit of fluid back out if the reservoir as it ended up too high.
  4. Alan from Oz

Alan from Oz New Member

[Aug 19, 2014]
    Cheers mate, appreciate your assistance. Actually did have the lid off the fluid reservoir , but that didn't seem to be helping. Managed to get piston in half way but wouldn't go any farther. Not sure if their is a problem with it as pads has nothing left on it on that particular side.
  5. Lukeyb

Lukeyb Member

[Aug 19, 2014]
    Maybe its seized up to that point and that's why the pad was to the back plate as it couldn't auto compensate?
  6. shadow1993

shadow1993 Member

[Aug 19, 2014]
    Hi,
    i recently changed my rear pads and disks due to an MOT failure for "unbalanced braking across the axle"
    I also found it hard to wind the piston back in with the wind in tool so i ended up using a sash cramp to press and mole grips to twist the piston back in. Twist then tighten then twist etc until it goes in far enough. Be careful not to damage the rubber seal though.
  7. Alan from Oz

Alan from Oz New Member

[Aug 19, 2014]
    Cheers guys appreciate the input. Will have another go at it before I give up & take it to the brake place. Its just annoying when they make it look so simple to fix it when you've got a bit of knowledge. Had a similar issue with a late model ford transit van with same sort of wind in system on rear calipers so ive encountered this sort of system before. Just not this kinda issue.
    But many thanks guys .
  8. edwardgonzalez872

edwardgonzalez872 New Member

[Aug 19, 2014]
    Yea you need a rear calipers adjustment tool you can git it harbor freight for $30 or $40