1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear brake noise after new discs & pads

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Jonesy, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

[Sep 30, 2011]
    Hi, I've fitted new rear discs and pads this afternoon and after a test drive all is fine, handbrake and pedal travel are good but I can hear a metallic rubbing from the rear and sounds like the pads are rubbing on the discs. Is this normal for new brakes or do I have a seized calliper. Its not very loud and can hardly be heard unless the windows are down. Its gonna drive me crazy now until I can sort it!!

Any ideas guys?

Thanks,

Allan
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

[Oct 1, 2011]
    anyone, could it be that they just need bedding in? Don't remember the fronts doing it.

Thanks
  4. gavsman

gavsman Member

[Oct 1, 2011]
    Did you re-grease the guide pins on the caliper's - as one could be sticking & keeping the pad tight against the disc.
  5. doublem_1

doublem_1 Member

[Oct 2, 2011]
    Did you put copper grease on the backs of the pads (as in where it meets the caliper)?
  6. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

[Oct 2, 2011]
    Hey, yep did the cooper grease on back of pads but didn't grease the guide pins. The noise tbh seems to be getting better it wasn't as loud today but ill test drive it again 2moro.

If I do want to re grease the guide pins what type of grease do you recommend?

Allan
  7. stu_b

stu_b Member

[Oct 2, 2011]
    careful i had this last week sound like it was just bedding in and after getting half way down the M6 id gone though the whole pad!!!
    and now need a new caliper and pads and disks!!!

get it sorted before it costs you more money ive ordered some handbreak springs from a VW sharan which helps to fully disengage the handbreak as apparently this it the problem quite a common mod with the MK4 boys as well apparently.

just one quick queston when fitting your new pads did you need new holding pins etc?
  8. gavsman

gavsman Member

[Oct 2, 2011]
    Copper grease should be fine for the guide pins but when I did mine I used Pagid Ceratec Brake Lube from ECP, when I did my rear's a few month's ago, 1 of the pins was rusted in place, which had caused the pad to push onto the disc all the time ( the inside pad was down to the metal!!!) - I had to bash the pin out with a hammer & screwdriver - then sanded down the pin & greased it up - no more problems since!
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  9. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Rrrrrrrr-tech

[Oct 3, 2011]
    Sharan caliper pins FTW!
  10. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

[Oct 3, 2011]
    Ill have a check on the brakes today, got my mot at 3.30 fingers crossed lol. But I think they should be fine as the last set that were on were only half way worm and they had been on for about 4 years. But ill regrease the pins just incase. Thanks for the help

Allan
  11. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Oct 3, 2011]
    Its not the brake splash guard touching the disc is it,? common to slightly bend them when working on the brakes
  12. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

[Oct 3, 2011]
    Car passed it MOT no advisories either Woop! so 2moro gonna check on brakes again. S3dave im pretty sure I didnt bend the splash guards, I remember spinning the wheels in the air before lowering the car and there was no noise or rubbing at all. Must have been when I engaged the brake pedal the first time on the ground. Stu_b i didnt change the holding pins.

Allan