1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear brake light bulb removal! - How to?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by FrankG, Aug 10, 2007.

1. FrankG

FrankG Member

[Aug 10, 2007]
    anyone here know how to access the non driver side rear light cluster on an avant, haven't had time to look myself, just thought I'd see if anyone here has any experience, going to change it tomorrow. Also will I have to plug it in to a diagnostic equipment to get rid of the message on the DIS?
    TIA.....
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 29, 2014]

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 10, 2007]
    It's pretty easy, but not obvious. On the inside of the boot trim there's a small blanking plate covering a screw hole. Remove that and undo the screw. The screw should hold itself in the hole without falling out and down behind the trim. You then have to lever the back of the light cluster out from the side bodywork, as it is held in by 2 pegs, and then wiggle the whole thing free. I use a a thin strip of metal covered in tape to prise out the back of the cluster (the bit nearest the front of the car) without damaging the paintwork.
    Or you could do as Audi suggest and only let an Audi dealer replace the 50p bulb for you for around £20!!!!

the DIS warning cancels itself, no need for VAGCOM.
  4. Mcgough

Mcgough Member

[Aug 10, 2007]
    Erm audi charge £76 for a rear bulb!

Frank its really simple, unless you have no eyes and no hands then you should be alright!
  5. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 10, 2007]
    You are joking right?
    They charged me £38 once to change a dash bulb (during a service), so I was being conservative as a brake light is slightly less complicated. Unbelievable.
  6. FrankG

FrankG Member

[Aug 14, 2007]
    Thanks lads, a piece of cake, very easy to do, took only 5 minutes, daylight robbery if the dealer is charging that much, especially when they don't need to hook up the dianostics. Very impressed the way the DIS informs you which bulb has blow. Agains Ta for the reply's.