Rear Axle Bushes and Haynes

DenCar

Reaction score
I plan to replace my rear Axle Bushes, however, the Haynes Manual says that on A3s from 2001 onwards its not possible to extract worn bushes nor insert new ones, the whole axle has to be replaced. Any comments anyone!!!

DC

I would bin that Haynes manual mate ! Get yourself a good bush press (i am selling a used one by the way,check my sig.) a few hacksaw blades and a pair of Febi rear axle bushes. Some models came with hydraulic/oil filled bushes, you just take them off and replace them with normal bushes-very messy job and make shure you wear a face mask if you decide to burn the old bushes as the oil inside will splatter your face...

Thanks for reply Adam, i did read a "HOW TO" somewhere. Awsome will replace them with some Powerflex Bushes, at a cost of course. I have heard that Febi ones are good. Ill either pay to have them done or do it myself, i just need to make my mind up.

DC

Polibushes make the rear end a bit too nervous and they start to creak after a while when get dry. Take my advice and fit Febi solid bushes unless you like your fillings rattled at every speed bump. The solid bushes really tighten the rear end whilst still keeping a confortable ride, nothing a powerflex bush will ever achieve...