really quick question for aftermarket 8p install

cenci

Reaction score
hi there
just found this site and have to say how good it is!!!

anyway, first post
i have an a3 (8p chassis) with a concert 2 cd player

my queston is if i install a kenwood aftermarket hu will it fit straight in (i.e. does the concert 2 have iso connectors for a simple swap)

also i read something about an aerial adaptor, will i need one of those?

thanks

(all this bother just for an ipod link, will i be better with a desion?)

Personally i would go with the Desion and keep the stock head unit.

I know that you can get some pretty good aftermarket head units but non look really oem. No aftermarket head unit (perhaps with the exception of the Becker) match the illumination of the stock units and they all look rather after market. The dash is so nice in the A3 I wouldn't want to upset the looks.

The Desion is a long way off being a perfect solution but i would not spoil that lovely factory look just to integrate an iPod. I used the Dension with my standard unit before retrofitting the RNS-e and continue to use it with the Nav installed. It is actually not too bad. My only real gripe is lack of ID tags on the radio. I find that storing songs in playlist work perfectly well and the on-the-go playlist is great for adding your 'todays favorite' tracks.

The sound from the stock units may not be the best but it's not the worst either.

All the above is of course - just my opinion.

8P won't be a straight fit.

The setup varies depending on if you have the Bose upgrade.

First problem will be that the loom doesn't have a switched power feed only Earth and Perminant Power, the Audi stereo listens for a CANBUS (car network) signal to power on/off.

In a non Bose setup the fronts speakers are powered from the Audi HU but the rears (and Sub) are powered from a 3 channel amp built into the sub (behind the nearside boot trim).

In a Bose setup all of the 6 speakers (2 front, 2 rear, 1 centre and 1 sub) are powered from a small 6 channel amp behind the offside boot trim.

There are ignition switched power pickups under the steering column trim though.

Yes you will also need a power injector to power the aerial amp.

Oh and Audi do a 1 din radio trim that is supposed to be better than the Autoleads one, I'll let you know when I pick my one up on Friday.

Hope that helps,

Paul

i have the non bose setup, wasnt even aware it contained an amp in my system

and its a shame about the aerial amp, how do i know i definately need to buy the adaptor?

seems alot of hassle to replace the hu, think i might opt for the dension,

i have my eyes on one from canada, i take it their wont be any compatability issues compared to an english one?

thanks for all your help