Really need help & some answers!

PipeWerks

Reaction score
hi guys! I'm pretty new to Audi so I dont have much knowledge about it.
I am going to buy an A3 1.8 (8L) very soon. My plans for this car is to put a VW VR6 2.8 engine into the car + turbocharge it. my main question is that...would it be possible to do a conversion from a front wheel drive to a four wheel drive. It is my main concern at the moment because front wheel drives really limits everything!!! Please understand that, here in Thailand, the dealers never brought the quattro versions or even the S3 in, so I dont really have a choice to buy one.

Would it be possible to do it? What should I be specially careful about? What will be done to the body of the car if it is possible to make it 4WD (such as cutting up the floor & new layout like Lancers to Evolutions). Has anyone ever done it?
Any recommendations of any sort? Really have high hopes on this project as I have always liked the A/S3. Thanks

​Hi, welcome to ASN. One of the guys may be able to advise you. Hope you enjoy the forum. :)

Mate if they never brought the quattro/s3 out how you going todo the conversion?

Thanks guys! The reason I want to make it a 4WD is so that I can go fully modify the VR6...looking at about 7-800 HP. But if I'm stuck with a FWD...the maximum I'll go is only 450 HP. more than this would make it really difficult to drive.
I've seen Mitsubishi Lancers completely swap everything and becoming an Evolution out of no where! So I'm counting on it...hope it can be done...but dont know where to start. need some info for starters

I see you have big plans bro. Look at the 4motion Golf, thats a quattro equivalent. Im not sure on the ratio but its a 4wd in the VAG range and thats whar you want. Hope this helps.

Safe motoring

Here in Bangkok the mechanics are pretty good in modifying things...I was wondering ...since the VW Golf MK4 and Audi share the same/similar platform, would it be possible for me to simply move everything from the Golf R32 into the A3?

Mate if they never brought the quattro/s3 out how you going todo the conversion?

Parts of every car are imported from either europe or japan...but mostly from japan because it is closer. Hoping I can get the parts I need and simply import it here.

was inspired by this car!!! love it!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
FWD and quattro have different floor pan layouts at the back... back seats on and its all different... there is a guy of SCN doing a Cupra 4 conversion... he welded in the rear floor pan etc of an S3 to his Leon... lots of work that tbh can be avoided by buying a quattro base in the first place...

Have a look in the classifieds, there are a few guys breaking S3's... Pat is breaking his S3 that I think the only thing wrong with it is the engine....

Personally I would look for a quattro as it been done properly out of the factory and will give you the base to do the project you want...

<tuffty/>

Yeh as above the actual chassis/floor is different on a quattro.

You'd need to cut the floor out and weld in the floor from a quattro model.

It would surely be easier to simply import a quattro, or better yet just buy an R32?

Thanks for the suggestion. The Thai law just got really bad with imported cars. It would be very difficult to bring one in. Its a result from the chop shops here welding up a car from scrap and selling it as new. If its too difficult should I just go with a FWD for now? I dont imply giving up yet but...just till I find a solution.

My plans for the car...Blue color with BBS CH 18'' rims front 8.5'' rear 9.5'' silver. Eibach springs coupled with stock shocks but fully customized internals and short stroked. I have no idea what body parts to fit it with, I have to look for one that suit an intercooler application. The exhaust system would be Titanium fully customized by myself (I make & sell exhaust systems). Roll cage the car. Endless 6 pot monoblocks on the front, micro mini 4 on the rear. 2 carbon back bucket seats. Remove everything inside, use black acrylic as door panels. Stack race dash. Carbon front and rear hood n bla bla bla. Something like that. I'm making this car as a show car for my shop, so I need it pretty crazy & exotic at the same time!!!

These are some photos of my old car, so you can visualize at a glance what I'm going to do with the Audi :yes:

PS. I kinda crashed it pretty bad last year so I'm moving on to my next Project, which is an Audi!!!