1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready to purchase a 1998 A6. Need some advice!

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by imported_EndangeredBeatz, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Hi guys.
    Well I come from the BMW family have had 3 previous 3 series & just sold my 1997 5 series.
    I'm looking around & made my decision to purchase either an Audi or a BMW newer body 3 series.
    I need something roomy so after searching, I found a 1998 A6 with 37,000 mile. Auto. Blue with blue & cream interior, with looks cool as I really never seen another car with that color combo. The only upgrades are brand new 18" Mille Miglia Rims.
    Price 11,000.

I need some help as I know nothing about Audi's?

Is that a good deal?
    Anything I should look for besides the regular functions of a car?
    Any major defects or known problems with these models?
    Is the 4WD good in winter conditions?
    Do they handle good & are they fast?
    How is the cost of maintance for Audi's compared to BMW (which is pretty high)?
    Do Audi's hold there value for re-sale?
    Are there many upgrades that can be done as far as exhaust, intake, lowering, bumpers, etc & is it pricey?
    Any recommended sites for mods?

Sorry for all the questions.........I really need help.

Any other "feedback" will be helpful & appreciated.
    Hope to be a part of the Audi family. See you guys soon. Will keep you posted.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. RyanA6

RyanA6 New Member

Jan 8, 2005
    I wouldn't count on finding many mods but what I have found has been very pricy!

Seems a bit expensive for its year but audi's can go on forever. My 1998 has done 150K and is in great condition. Just service regulary and its perfect.

4. I have a 1999 A6 SE saloon.

From personal experience, I would check:

Power is OK - if down or "flatspot", indicative of a failed air flow meter, common fault on this vehicle and AUdi replacement part is about £225.

All windows work OK - electrics prone to getting stuck half way. Apparently can be fixed with new guides, I have yet to do it. Garage will charge circa £220 per window!