1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready to purchase a 1998 A6. Need some advice!

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by imported_EndangeredBeatz, Sep 12, 2004.

1. [Sep 12, 2004]
    Hi guys.
    Well I come from the BMW family have had 3 previous 3 series & just sold my 1997 5 series.
    I'm looking around & made my decision to purchase either an Audi or a BMW newer body 3 series.
    I need something roomy so after searching, I found a 1998 A6 with 37,000 mile. Auto. Blue with blue & cream interior, with looks cool as I really never seen another car with that color combo. The only upgrades are brand new 18" Mille Miglia Rims.
    Price 11,000.

I need some help as I know nothing about Audi's?

Is that a good deal?
    Anything I should look for besides the regular functions of a car?
    Any major defects or known problems with these models?
    Is the 4WD good in winter conditions?
    Do they handle good & are they fast?
    How is the cost of maintance for Audi's compared to BMW (which is pretty high)?
    Do Audi's hold there value for re-sale?
    Are there many upgrades that can be done as far as exhaust, intake, lowering, bumpers, etc & is it pricey?
    Any recommended sites for mods?

Sorry for all the questions.........I really need help.

Any other "feedback" will be helpful & appreciated.
    Hope to be a part of the Audi family. See you guys soon. Will keep you posted.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. RyanA6

RyanA6 New Member

[Jan 17, 2005]
    I wouldn't count on finding many mods but what I have found has been very pricy!

Seems a bit expensive for its year but audi's can go on forever. My 1998 has done 150K and is in great condition. Just service regulary and its perfect.

4. imported_A6Smurf

imported_A6Smurf Guest

[Feb 27, 2005]
    I have a 1999 A6 SE saloon.

From personal experience, I would check:

Power is OK - if down or "flatspot", indicative of a failed air flow meter, common fault on this vehicle and AUdi replacement part is about £225.

All windows work OK - electrics prone to getting stuck half way. Apparently can be fixed with new guides, I have yet to do it. Garage will charge circa £220 per window!