Re-mapping

Mrbullit

Reaction score
Now then fellow members just been on the phone to Corten Miller for a remapping service on my Audi 1.8t q. I'm just wondering if the advice he has given me is legit !! My car has done 125 thousand miles and is still very strong it is full service history up to 109 thousand miles when I bought it I have changed the clutch and done all necessary service bits my self including oil change every 10 thousand miles....

The guy told me I should be very aware that the coil packs should be replaced and that possibly the diverter valve on the turbo may already be split or will split on dyno run ? He then mentioned about my clutch and spark plugs and fuel etc...

It does not say in my service history that my coil pacs have changed BUT he said it is not likely the original ones would have lasted ??
Also he mentioned the original diverter valve would not realy be benficial for maximum results ??? Can I get some feed back on this pleases Thanx a million :)

If the DV hasnt been replaced it would probably be beneficial to replace for the 710n from dealers (around £20) as for coil packs they are pretty robust but the ICM is the weak link on the ignition system. Maybe look at doing the ICM delete and TFSI coil packs mod, i had a missfire on boost did the ICM delete and its never skipped a beat.

Also it might be worth while upgrading to the Golf/A3 ecu ending in CJ as its flashable through the OBD port. Unicorn quoted me £300 for fully custom map with this ECU fitted.

Coilpack issues are non-existent on the AJL. Its the later engines that suffer this. ICM's can die, but generally they're pretty good. If you have problems then ICM delete and a conversion to the later system is a good idea, but i wouldnt say its a must.

If they guy doesnt know that, then i'd suggest you might well find he cant actually tune the car. These ECU's cant be flash tuned. They need to be "chipped" instead, and not that many folk can do that.

As brad says, you might find that you'll have to swap to a later CJ spec ECU which then allows it to be flashed.

The DV is probably broken, but as above, cheap 710N replacement from the dealer and you'll be fine.

Sparkplugs wont be a problem so long as they're not old and worn out. If they need replaced either fit new standard PFR6Q plugs, or BKR6E's as a cheaper copper version. Dont buy into any fancy **** plugs, stick to these tried and true options.

Hay bradders I live in East Lincolnshire is that Unicorn place far from me could you give me contact details please ! And Aragorn is it best to get the TFSI coil pacs and 710n DV from dealer or mass market retailer like Linco auto parts or something?

He did mention flash tuning actualy so you think my only option would be to get it chipped ?

My wife told me the other day that she preferred our old GSI V6 as it had more go init.. so I've decided to do something about that and to gain more torque !!

710n is a dealer only part.

the tfsi coils are dealer only, but your cheaper buying them from somewhere like PSI Tuning, as they do a much better price.

if your converting to TFSI coils, you also need some valve cover adaptor plates, which can be ordered from the dealer for a few quid, and you need to rewire your engine harness to bypass the ICM.

As i said above, the 558DA ECU that the TQS comes with does not support flash tuning. You can either a) change the ECU for a later one that does, like the 018CJ golf part mentioned above, or you can solder a remap chip into the existing ECU. The problem is that finding someone with the skills to solder in a chip is somewhat harder than finding some flash monkey.

cheers for the advice. Does any 1 know of a Solder magician in my area that could put a chip in my existing ECU ??
Not realy sure where to start then, my whole original idea of just remaping has been turned upside down :( any of these places will sell superchips but finding one that can solder to my existing ecu I think is not gona be easy :(

Try unicorn or Rtech, see what they suggest.

I'm always very wary of the "more-bhp" type places that claim to remap everything under the sun. To do a good job you need to know the car, the engine and the ECU quite well. You cant do that if your remapping every car in the universe. If you get lucky, you might end up with a map that works but isnt very optimised and is pretty mild and safe. If your unlucky, you end up with a map that either makes the car run like a sack of ****, or ends up with dangerous fuelling etc which could damage the engine.

Unfortunately, chipping is a dying art. 10-15 years ago, every car needed "chipped" as the ECU's werent flashable, this meant that the folk offering remaps were typically all pretty skilled.

With the advent of flash tunes, suddenly all you need to remap a car is a laptop and OBD cable, which as a result means that while the knowledgeable folk are still around, the markets rammed full of franchisees who get a flash cable and some software off some big tuner and go off remapping cars without really knowing what they're doing. Those same franchisees also can offer services for every car under the sun, because they're not having to actually write the files and tune the cars themselves, they're just buying them in pre-done by someone else. It suddenly becomes very difficult to know your getting a good job, unless you use someone whos known to do it properly!