Re: Audi A3 T - funny nosie from engine

Dudsy81

Reaction score
Hello

As a beloved lover of the Audi A3 T-sport (1998), i was gutted to hear a a rattling noise from the engine when i started my car up yesterday. the nosie continued when the car was idel. When i started driving the nosie went away but when ever i was driving idel, the noise came again. The car seems to run ok and pick up speed.

So whats wrong?

Somebody told me it was the flywheel but wouldnt that mean i couldnt drive? Is it the starter moter?

Hoping somebody could help me and shed some light, as i am on tight budget at the moment

Thanks

Dudsy81

snap, same car, same year, same symptoms (when you dip the clutch does the noise disappear?) - check here

....mine is the flywheel by the way, and it ain't gonna be cheap. I would seriously get it off the road and into the garage asap, before it causes any further damage. Even if it is not the same problem, it's worth getting it checked out. I only noticed the change in mine over 2 days, and luckily didn't drive it much or fast. You're luckly to spot it and have the chance to look at it before further costs etc.

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Rob

Thanks for that Rob

So do you have any idea, what parts i need and where i can get them for a decent price.

I make sure i wont drive the car than.

What is so funny is that i had the clutch replaced 2 yrs ago so maybe it definatlky the flywheel than.

How much do you think the delaers charge for everything

Dudsy

So do you have any idea, what parts i need and where i can get them for a decent price.

I make sure i wont drive the car than.

What is so funny is that i had the clutch replaced 2 yrs ago so maybe it definatlky the flywheel than.

How much do you think the delaers charge for everything

I'm looking into getting some quotes, but they certainly ain't cheap. I'd be scared to ask the dealers. Get a proper opinion on the situation, I could be wrong. From looking around it seems when buying a flywheel it's in a kit with the clutch. I forgot to ask the life left on my clutch :S lol

What you could do, is call a dealers to see what they would charge, then a local reputable garage...that might make ya feel a bit better lol ;)

You could dump the dual mass flywheel and fit a G60 flywheel with a vr6 clutch. It'll be cheaper and handle the power better.
Down side is slight clutch judder in first and reverse, but no biggy.

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the reply :) Any ideas on the best place to source that kit from and approximate price. With my car occupying the ramps, time is of the essence really. Might just have to leave that one.

Ta,

VR6 clutch kit from any of the usual places. GSF, Euro car parts etc or dealer.

I got my flywheel from a group buy on uk-mkivs.net. Whith the money I saved, I had it lightened. Not sure how much from a dealer. Not as much as the dual mass tho.

Put a wanted up on all the forums perhaps, bound to be some floating about. You don't need a new one, just straight.

Perhaps look for complete kit from ECS or other yank tuner due to cheap dollar.