1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rattling noise in A4 engine, goes off when AC is switched on

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by NAZZY, May 21, 2010.

1. NAZZY

NAZZY New Member

[May 21, 2010]
    All,

I really will appreciate some pointers to this problem. When the engine is on idle, there is this rattling noise which goes off either if I am driving or the ac is switched on. Have telephoned Audi dealers and earliest appt is in mid June. Visited 4 local garages and advice ranges from oil and filter change, changing the tension belts, bringing down the engine to locate the noise(booh!), to replacing the ac compressor. Any one ever experienced this? Any pointer will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. phoenixv6quattro

phoenixv6quattro staylowmovefast

[May 22, 2010]
    Gordon Brown is in your compressor........
  4. NAZZY

NAZZY New Member

[May 22, 2010]

phoenixv6quattro, thanks for the tip and the illustrative way of describing the problem. I wonder whether it is still ok to drive around until I take it to the garage(they are all pretty booked up). It is worthwhile changing the tension belt and pulley as well?
  5. phoenixv6quattro

[May 22, 2010]
    Hello mate I was only kiddin and a bit worse for wear last night. So....to answer your question, how old/many miles has your car done? Whats the SH i.e. When was the last time the belts and pulley/s were changed etc. If the noise is only present when the aircon is on then it should be ok to drive with the aircon off. As a rule of thumb, if its been a while you should change all belts and associated parts and components.....and make sure you change the oil 5k. It might also benefit from a diesel flush if the engine is old and tired. Hope this is a bit more descriptive than gordon brown....
  6. NAZZY

NAZZY New Member

[May 22, 2010]
    Its a 2006 Audi A4 2.0 TDI, with 62,000 miles on the clock. I could not easily locate the Service Book but reckon that the belt was last changed at 35,000miles. The noise actually goes away when the aircon is on.
  7. phoenixv6quattro

[May 23, 2010]
    Just a heads up mate, your in the wrong forum. This is for A4's between 1995-2001 (B5). You need to be in the B7 forum as your cars a 2006 model......
    That aside your belts should be fine as they are fairly new. However I would change the aux drive belt and see if that cures it (easy job and low cost). I wouldnt be too concerned as the noise goes away with the aircon on. If it were constant it could be a number of things like cam chain tensioner/manifold hestshields or the manifolds/pulleys etc etc think you get the idea. Ask an admin to transfer this thread to the B7 forum or post the same question there. It might be more year/model specific so those guys should be able to diagnose it better.....However, there is s chance it could still be an ex-pm.....
  8. NAZZY

NAZZY New Member

[May 23, 2010]
    Thanks for the heads up.