1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rattling noise from front driver side

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by sanj_c, Nov 22, 2010.

1. sanj_c

sanj_c New Member

Hi Guys,

I was going around a roundabout, only doing under 10mph as there was traffic in front of me. I went over a pot hole and i heard this loud clunk noise coming from the front driver side. At first I thought i popped the tyre so I pulled over to check and nothing was wrong. However when i drove off and come to some road bumps, i could hear a rattling noise coming front the front driver side. It sounds like a piece of metal is rattling around. It's had no affect on the steering or performance.

Any ideas? I'm thinking it could be a snapped spring maybe? The car is booked in for Thursday for a check up...

Thanks
  2. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Active Member

I would say a coil spring or the anti roll bar drop link.
    Both should be easy to spot
  3. coyle

coyle From Show... to GO

mines doing the same, but nearside, going to check everything over tomorrow, my money is on drop links
  4. S3KO4

S3KO4 Member

anti roll bar drop link. two bolts to change. if I was you I would change both sides they are not that expensive. turn the steering all the way to the right it should be obvious to see.
  5. sanj_c

sanj_c New Member

Thanks guys. Strange thing is that I had the drop links changed last year, both of them. Maybe they've gone again. The car is still in the garage, hopefully it should be ready tomorrow. Will post the problem.
  6. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

please do a lot of posts about similar....my guess drop link-s
  7. sanj_c

sanj_c New Member

Got the car back a few days ago...It was a snapped coil spring. Had a new VAG fitted, all sorted now :)
  8. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

Nice one dude, glad you got the car sorted....saw you on the roads recently, the car is looking good!!!