1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rattle front of car...

DJAlix Aug 11, 2010

1. DJAlix

DJAlix All things VCDS & VCP! Team Ibis Section Mod VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro

Hey there!

Had my A3 in to the dealer a while back but they could not find an issue, which is there answer to 99% of the time for anything.

Basically whenever I am going over a speed bump (most of the time) I get a metallic rattling sound from the left side, front underside direction of the car, which can only he heard from the outside or with the hood / windows open. This also happens sometimes when I touch the breaks and slow speeds. Kind sounds like two metal objects touching / chattering on each other.

Have jacked the car up and cannot find anything obvious. The only item I could get to vibrate was the break shield (black metal disc) but it makes a very different and indeed a pitched bell like sound.

Was wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar / could possibly shed any light?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. TAC

TAC 3.2 V6 Burble... hmmmmmmm

I can put money on it that the retaining clip has not been put back on the caliper which is causing the rattle, only other possibility is that the pads have been changed and they have put too small ones in but that would make the noise both sides.

Pop both wheels off and check that the caliper clip is there.

Good luck.

3. DJAlix

DJAlix All things VCDS & VCP! Team Ibis Section Mod VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro

Just took a look at the retaining clips and all seems jammed in there pretty tight to be honest. Am thinking it could be small pads, they have never been changed though. What would be the best way for me to check?

4. Anthony_H

Anthony_H Member

I have had a noise simliar to this, but its turned out to be trim around the foglights and the headlight rattling over bumpr

5. DJAlix

Now there is something I never thought to look at!