Rattle from under 2002 S3 at high revs?

jordan m

Reaction score
Ok, this has been going on for a while now, but only happens like once a week. When the car has warmed up properly and normally during motorway driving, when the car is revved to above 5000 RPM I can hear a sort of creaking/rattle sort of strain sound coming from underneath the car, it could be the exhaust/cat maybe? It only last for a few seconds, but only happens at high revs.
Then about two days ago the 'Check engine' orange symbol has appeared on the dash and wont go away? The car drives absolutly fine and has no problems on start up or while driving(just the occasional rattle) but since the light has appeared on the dash, I feel as though I should not really 'rag' the car.
If there were some sort of exhaust crack/leak, would this bring the 'check engine' light on?
Kindly a meber has agreed to let me use thier VAG-com software to try and find the fault code, but this is not until a few days.....
Any help would be much appreciated?

I dont know why your light has come up on the dash but vag com should help you out there. The rattle is probably the centre exhaust bracket they are prone to snapping and can be welded back on or secured with a big jubilee clip. Take it to any exhaust place and they should be able to fix it for you.