1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rattle from lower driver's side door

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by selar, Apr 9, 2013.

1. selar

selar Member

So my week-old A3 has developed a rattle :( As soon as I reach 2100 - 2200 rpm I hit the resonant frequency of something in the lower half of the driver's side door. It sounds like a pen's sitting in the storage compartment but it's completely empty. I've got it booked in at Glasgow Audi for Tuesday morning.

I don't expect anyone to be able to help - just wanted to share my (slight!) misery at having to be parted from it so soon!
  2. XXXCorps

XXXCorps Member

The A1 I used to have had a rattle upon collection from the inside door handle. When I took it out to demonstrate this, the tech was looking all over the interior asking where I'd hidden the sunglasses!! In the event the entire door handle and fittings needed to be replaced so know what you're going through...
    Ishj likes this.
  3. selar

selar Member

Hmm. I got the extended mono.pur interior so I hope that won't hold things right up...
  4. hittchy

hittchy Member

Normally their first course of action is to smother everything in anti-rattle foam and tape. There are unlikely to be any TSBs for rattles yet, so I think it'll be a bit of trial an error unless there's a fault screaming out at them.

Have you got anyone pretty good at isolating where it comes from? If so, take them out for a spin so you can direct the technician to the exact location. You'll have far more chance of them solving it first time then.
  5. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

At least with Audi they don't quibble at all and understand that rattles and noises are unacceptable. On one of my previous A3s I had an annoying rattle from the central console somewhere so they dismantled the entire dash and put it all back together again to fix it.
    XXXCorps likes this.
  6. hittchy

hittchy Member

True, but some technicians are better with rattles than others. I'd be really worried about them stripping the whole dash out!

They took the top part of the dash off my A4 because a TSB said the rattle would be there. It came back and did the same within weeks. Turned out it was the OBD port rattling. I gave up taking it back again and stuck some cardboard and insulating tape over it! Hasn't rattled since.

I wish I'd listened to my own advice and discovered the exact location before taking it in. Rattles are notoriously difficult to pinpoint for techies unless they're loud and clear.
  7. selar

selar Member

TSB?
  8. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Member

Technical service bulletin
  9. hittchy

hittchy Member

Sorry.

As sootchucker said above.
  10. selar

selar Member

Ah :) it seems to be from the lower trim around the B&O speaker. There's a bit of give in the plastic / rubber border and the noise changes tone when I put my finger on it. Thanks for the advice!