Rattle from Engine Bay

jb0o

Reaction score
Website
jonathan-butler.co.uk
Hi chaps,

Every since I got the car I've heard a small rattle when I press the accelerator down - it hasn't bothered me as it was only a small rattle.

This rattle is now pretty big... and happens even at idle.

I assumed it could be the exhaust, but it sounds like its coming more from the engine, which I believe could may well be the heat shield?

Anyone got any experience on this?

Thanks, :cool:

You would be best taking it to a garage or someone mechanically minded to have a look and listen - not much help we can give on here without having the car infront of us :(

Hi chaps,

Every since I got the car I've heard a small rattle when I press the accelerator down - it hasn't bothered me as it was only a small rattle.

This rattle is now pretty big... and happens even at idle.

I assumed it could be the exhaust, but it sounds like its coming more from the engine, which I believe could may well be the heat shield?

Anyone got any experience on this?

Thanks, :cool:

Could be nuts in your airbox?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article102692.ece

Is the rattle when the car is standing still and press the accelerator? Or is it whilst your driving?

Is it auto or manual? If its manual is the noise still there when you depress the clutch?

Does the rattle get louder/worse the higher the revs get?

If it happens when moving is the noise more linked to the speed you are travelling or the revs of the engine?

Give us a bit more detail mate and might be able to give you an idea of what to expect!

My engine cover 'rattles' when I rev at standstill, it could be something as simple as that mate :thumbsup:

I had a very annoying rattle....it was the fuel line which is plastic, a bit loose in the place where it attaches to the firewall. Try that!

I had a rattle which I thought sounded like a metal baffle / heat shield that might have come loose. Reported it last time it went in for a service. Garage checked it out and said that the air con compressor had siezed. Replaced it under warranty.