1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random electrical faults

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by mareksio, Apr 22, 2004.

1. mareksio

mareksio New Member

[Apr 22, 2004]
    Hi
    My gf has just bought an R plate A3 1.6 sport, but within a couple of days of picking the car up, it has developed a load of random faults. The abs light comes on intermittantly on the dash, the blowers stop working, the wipers stop, the speedo stops, the fuel guage stops working. All seem to happen at the same time.
    Spoke to the (non audi) dealer, and he seems to think it's the ignition switch playing up. I'm not so sure, and want to get a second opinion before we take it back down to Portsmouth (we're in Surrey).

Another thing - are the instrument panel lights supposed to stay on all the time - even when the headlights ae off? The panel dimmer only affects the radio and mileometer too...

Any help would be much appreciated - it was on my recommendation that she bought this particular car, and i can feel my head getting closer to the chopping block...
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 25, 2014]

3. leespears1

leespears1 Member

[Apr 22, 2004]
    The dash speedo etc... do stay on all the time, well mine do. Ive had fuel guage probs, but wot u say sounds drastic,take it to an audi dealer.
  4. mareksio

mareksio New Member

[Apr 22, 2004]
    ok cheers, that clears up one problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    the dealer we bought it off has refused to take it to an audi dealer, and seems pretty sure that he knows what is wrong. Can he be trusted though??
  5. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[Apr 23, 2004]
    I would push the guy you bought the car from to fix the problem and play with his cash fixing it, especially as he's certain he knows what it is.

It could well be an ignition problem but it could also be a problem with any of the main power supply circuits. I would suggest taking a look at the black box on top of the battery, and inside you will see some fuses and cable terminals, so just make sure al is tight and clean.

But it does sound like a dealer visit is your best bet.
  6. recomdos

recomdos Member

[Apr 23, 2004]
    well as some already know (gambba etc) my abs light has been coming on and off - still in the process of seeing if it's covered under my inspection warranty (hey - don't ask, ya don't get) anyway, my fuel gauge has also played up just a couple of times I must stress! it seems to go back to normal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif still frustrating though, as it makes me think I have to remember how much I put in and how many miles I should be able to get before top up (not quite paranoia stage yet, but still a tad confusing)