Ramair oversized air intake review

Jonni

Reaction score
So I noticed a couple of cracks in oem engine cover and the front snorkel... wasn't gonna bother replacing with oem as it's a waste of time as the design in my eyes is rubbish...

I had a AS Performance one on my last S3 and thinking about it just can't justify £350 for another one . ITG , REVO and evoms are all around that price tag . Far to much for what they are tbh.

So I found a one by RAMAIR it boasted a 90mm pipe work like the AS one. Looking at it online looked like there was a few more joints than AS but other than that was exactly what I wanted . So I phoned RAMAIR up direct and spoke to Ryan Davies. What a fountain of knowledge he is when it comes to intakes. I also got a bit of flexi pipe for a little idea . Price wise it was £189 that's almost £200 cheaper than the big brands .

It arrived the next day via courier and soon as I got it opened it up straight away. First impressions where good everything looked well made and sturdy.

First off was to remove the standard air intake and cover which is easy as had previously done one.

Standard oem intake

CEA1F472-7FCC-474A-AC06-440E568D3F57_zpslgyqowgh.jpg

With the new intake the first job was to fit some protective edging to the heat sheilds. I have put it on the bottom one to show what's it like it has to go on top sheild aswell.
0BA2F650-8EA5-4233-BBD5-511B84E2D617_zps6ka2zg1i.jpg

After that the rear heat shield went in. It uses the rear factory mounting points for the oem heatsheild. The cut and precision of this heatsheild is top draw .

1AFB994C-83DF-4714-BEBC-7467AA3CAB37_zpsk9xp5qg4.jpg

After this it was the silicone reducer onto the turbo and the first metal pipe with maf housing along with second reducer and second metal pipe. All the jubilee clips are just say nipped up and can rotate if needed. There is a steel band with a rubber protector to clamp the second metal pipe tight .

A009E745-3513-41BD-8604-C8EE14527938_zpsnqnf2gm2.jpg

Next was the front heat shield, this is in two parts . The lower ones uses the rubber bungs from the oem engine cover to secure it on pegs infront if the battery as shown below .

C4A5F47C-EE9B-4122-90F3-C13A0B010B3E_zpshnmz5box.jpg

Again fit if heat shield is excellent and there is even a little gap for what I was planning on doing with the flexi pipe. I just wanted more cold air hitting the filter so I came up with this...

A831CC91-C133-4BE8-B9D6-599D62D9F272_zpsqc5hjokz.jpg

Flexi pipe has been slided down to front lower grill and I used a cable tie around the fog light bracket to secure it .

Looks like this from the top...

C1C48E9C-DB83-483F-A19C-6339DE8681C3_zps2pypiu1c.jpg

Top of pipe is not fixed but is a snug fit anyways .

Next step was to fix other part of the heat shield . This uses 4 nuts and bolts with serrated washers for fixing both heat sheilds together . A bolt into the oem battery mount and a torx screw into where the oem intake was behind the front grill.

D8227CFF-A2E5-460F-9736-C237BE4C24F6_zpscfqnx4cv.jpg

Next was to put the top elbow third metal pipe and the bottom elbow on as well as the filter . I made sure everything was facing the correct way to get at the jubilee clips.

407F91F5-649A-43DC-9263-DD86894F0EB5_zpsr72zak2w.jpg

Once it was all together and rotated the way I wanted I nipped all the jubilee clips up so everything was secure .

Really happy with the fit and personally I think this is on the same level if not better than the kits that are £200 more .

Normal differences with fitting a intake . Throttle response is better and seems to spool up and pick up quicker .

All comments welcome

Reactions: pint-of-mustard, mister.c., S. and 1 other person
Looking good. Do you have part no for the filter. As i have itg which is basicly the same but might need to change the filter.
Good idea to use the flexi pipe as a air feed from fog grill i've done the same few years back and everything is still in the place.

Looking good. Do you have part no for the filter. As i have itg which is basicly the same but might need to change the filter.
Good idea to use the flexi pipe as a air feed from fog grill i've done the same few years back and everything is still in the place.

Hmmm I don't sorry

I've got the same intake and I agree it's a decent bit of kit. Might replace my cone for an itg one when it's ready as I believe they are a much better filter but I will see about cost when it comes to it. The guy who mapped my car said they ran test on another s3 when installing the flexi breather pipe and said the car ran much better with it (can't remember the technical speech I got) for the sake of less than £10 I did it before my map and it's just nice knowing it might be helping lol. I pulled mine past the heat sheield and aimed it straight at the filter, I've noticed quite a lot of flies and bits within that area so I keep an eye on it, I know other people have said be careful in the rain if you've done this mod

I've got the same intake and I agree it's a decent bit of kit. Might replace my cone for an itg one when it's ready as I believe they are a much better filter but I will see about cost when it comes to it. The guy who mapped my car said they ran test on another s3 when installing the flexi breather pipe and said the car ran much better with it (can't remember the technical speech I got) for the sake of less than £10 I did it before my map and it's just nice knowing it might be helping lol. I pulled mine past the heat sheield and aimed it straight at the filter, I've noticed quite a lot of flies and bits within that area so I keep an eye on it, I know other people have said be careful in the rain if you've done this mod

Ah cool. Yerh I think the cold air feed will help. With regards to the water you would have to go through a large puddle or a lake to suck water up . Even then it would have to jump from the flexi into the filter . So I'm not to worried but like you say keep a close eye on it

I have had this on mine (2.0 TFSI) for about a year. Good filter.
After installing mine the T piece on the cooling system just below the intake pipe snapped as the intake was resting on it. I think when you accelerate the engine and pipes move slightly putting pressure on the plastic T piece. Cheep and easy fix but a pain to get car home with no water in it!! I have adjusted it now so it doesn't touch.

I have had this on mine (2.0 TFSI) for about a year. Good filter.
After installing mine the T piece on the cooling system just below the intake pipe snapped as the intake was resting on it. I think when you accelerate the engine and pipes move slightly putting pressure on the plastic T piece. Cheep and easy fix but a pain to get car home with no water in it!! I have adjusted it now so it doesn't touch.

Yep I noticed this when installed the bottom heatsheild . All I done was rotated the metal clip on the coolant line so that the solid part of the clip rests on the rubber edging of the heatsheild and it's sorted . If it ever does where it will be the rubber edging and not the coolant hose

Fitted one of these last night to my car, all seems OK. Had to fit without with long heat shield as I cannot undo the rear engine cover mounts, anyone have a easy way to undo these? The plastic has become brittle on mine and it's just breaking apart!

Fitted one of these last night to my car, all seems OK. Had to fit without with long heat shield as I cannot undo the rear engine cover mounts, anyone have a easy way to undo these? The plastic has become brittle on mine and it's just breaking apart!

Yep easy. Reach behind and under factory heat shield with a 10mm spanner or socket what everis easier and undo the nut . Once it is off the top part will just slide out.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Andrew Page
Thanks Jonni, I found the bolts on the underside and got them removed okay! Does anyone know of another engine cover that will fit using the original cover mounts and with this air filter?

Most people will fit the cover from a TTS. This cover uses different mounting locations but looks the part.
Audi will not sell you the rear mounting bolts for this cover but a copy part can be bought from AKS tuning. The front mounting bolt and the cover can be bought from Audi.

Yep as prt57 said the Audi TTS cover is your best bet. There is a few manufacturers out there that do carbon ones in different designs but I've heard mixed reviews with fitting etc . I'm sure someone on here had a carbon fibre TTS cover though .

Thanks Jonni, I found the bolts on the underside and got them removed okay! Does anyone know of another engine cover that will fit using the original cover mounts and with this air filter?

Yep if you don't know about the bolts you will never get them out lol

Hi I fitted this recently and got code p0171 come up engine running lean!? Anyone else had this since install or know how to fix

Thanks