Radio won't turn on

eoeumc

Reaction score
Website
www.eoeumc.co.uk
Hi folks :)

Got a problem with a stereo that I have just got (this morning). Its an old style Audi Delta radio to go in my A4 95 plate. I have plugged in the 2 plugs and the only thing that seems to work is it lights up when I turn on my lights :(

Can anyone shed any light on the matter as I can't stand singing to myself any more :Flush:
Oh and can anyone tell me what the pale green wire with brown rings around is for please?

Any help will be great.

Thank you :blink:

Think I might know why it wont turn as the person before took out some of the wireing and I think he ripped out the live wire also :banghead:

So can anyone tell me where the live wire goes to on the ignition system please? I think I know where it goes in to the plug its just the other end I haven't got a clue :unsure:

Cheers

Not taken any yet, but can do easily. If any good, all wireing is original. Still has the Audi sticker around it. The black plug only has 4 wires in to it and seems to be missing the yellow wire which I have found out to be the live to the ignition :(

But if a pic is needed ask again here and I will get one up :)

Well I took a couple of pics of the wiring and they are as follows:

I don't know what the pale gren wire is either.
16012011710.jpg

16012011712.jpg

As said before I think its a live wire missing from the black plug, but not 100% sure and not sure as to where to connect in the dash/ignition system :(

No one know anything! :(

I was wondering if the greeny blue wire could be another live that had been put in, but don't know where it ges to in the dash though.

Has anyone else got this wire in there car, if so where does it go to? It has brown rings around it aswell.

Come on peeps, I'm getting bored of listening to the kids whinging in the back and what with the girlfriend nagging in the front! I would be pulling my hair out by now, if I had enough to pull out that is! :keule:

The fully populated plug is for the speakers, so you can ignore that.

The other one (with 4 wires) contains two of importance, the brown which is earth, and the blue/red, which is permenant live.

Check these are correct with a multimeter or test lamp.

A "normal" headunit would typically also have an ignition live feed, to enable it to turn on and off with the key, however some early Audis dont seem to have this, and their head units didnt require it.

If i were to guess, i'd say the delta unit you have DOES expect an ignition live, but your car is wired for an early Concert unit which does not.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that additional wire is a switched live. It is definately not original. You need to test it. If it is, then you need to wire it into position 4 on the black ISO plug to give the Delta the required 2nd 12v feed (shown below as socket A position 4)
If it doesn't have 12v on it when the ignition is on then you need to trace it back to the fusebox and see why not.
Beckerwiring.jpg

Thanks for that. I just got to get round to getting someone who knows what's what becasue I have literally got no idea as anything electrical :( Or even car related! lol

Thnaks and will up-date as we go.