1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio problems

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by BBlackburn, Aug 12, 2011.

1. BBlackburn

BBlackburn Member

My radio just cut out yesterday, so I tried to check the main fuse but it pinged out Into the engine bay, so not knowing if was blown I changed it, then the radio came back to life. After being on for a while it cut out again, I had a fiddle and got it back but now it has cut out all together and doesn't want to come back on. I also checked the fuse on the inside of the radio the 10amp that's fine anyone know any other problems it could be?
    So annoying with no music to listen to.
    Thanks
  2. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Fuses at end of dashboard cover??

Is your battery holding good charge?
  3. BBlackburn

BBlackburn Member

Yeah looked at the manual for the inside fuse box, doesnt have any fuses relating to the radio, I also tested the battery and had good charge and no other signs of battery failure, like central locking faults or any other form of starting the car or anything. Not sure what it is but getting really annoying
  4. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

Fuses blow for a good reason..ie: to stop shorts becoming fires. If your fuse repeatedly blows then that suggests a short to me. first thing to do would to find out if its in the wiring or the unit its self. Try removing the HU and replacing the fuse with the lowest amp one you can find and then wobble the wiring about through the hole in the dash where the HU was and see if it still blows the fuse, that would indicate a short to earth somewhere on the loom. You may have a short in the HU. If the fuse in the car is a lower rating than the 10a in the HU then the 10a would not blow first. Get the HU checked out either with a multi meter live to chassis or try that HU in someone else's car.

Bottom line is if you dont know what you are doing then get a pro to check it out, you dont want a fire behind the dash so dont be tempted to put a bigger fuse in. Your problem could be simple but if left could be the end of your HU or worse. I am not an expert with DC but if it was AC i would say get it pat tested ie Earth bond, continuity and resistance checked . Dont know if thats an option on DC ?
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  5. Chappy

Chappy Call me Dan :)

Agree with Paddy. The amount of people who come into work wanted to put bigger fuses in because it keeps blowing, not a good idea. As Paddy said, it's designed to protect a circuit with a certain amperage, if you exceed the fuse rating, the components will blow before the fuse does.
  6. BBlackburn

BBlackburn Member

I'm stumped though, don't worry I'm an electrician so I have tested everything, I've tested both fuses on continuity they haven't blown and as far as I'm aware nothing has but im not sure if it's a lose connection I have fiddled with the connections in the back but still no life, Ill have to ask someone to take a look if they can figure it out or I might have to get another radio same as mine see if the radio itself has gone, if it's just the radio and connections are fine may have to upgrade to rns-e.
  7. BBlackburn

BBlackburn Member

Yeah some people lol, i didn't realise there was a small 10amp fuse on the radio which obviously would blow before the 15amp under the bonnet, to protect the radio itself, but I checked that on continuity, as for a lose connection I'm not sure I have fiddled with them and tested voltage of the battery all seems okay which is why I'm stumped, the only other thing I can think of is that the relay has gone which triggers the radio to come on when ignition comes on, I just don't think there is anything wrong with the wiring or the connections or fuses and it's not so annoying I'm an electrician for god sake and can't figure it out lol.
  8. Chappy

It could always be the radio. things do fail unfortunately but it would be a good excuse to upgrade to the RNS-e :p
  9. paddy

I just had a quick look at my s3 ...
    The fuse 30a under the bonnet is for the separate amp ie Bose. the Radio fuse is No. 9 15a in the end of the dash. make sure the fuse under your bonney should not be 30a like mine. Check you hand book.
  10. paddy

What sort of radio is it, what car what year ? i have a spare double din symphony 2, 6 cd thing ...
  11. BBlackburn

BBlackburn Member

It's a 54 reg 8p with symphony stereo, my 15amp fuse is located in f19 in my box, I have a fuse for audio amplifier but nothing else I can see in the handbook relating to the radio, it could just have died on me, I think your right it might be time to upgrade to something that will last, wanted it to just hold out for bit longer as I want to buy a new car soon anyway so annoying I'll have a few more fiddles and ask a mechanic I know if not paddy I might be pm you about that symphony cheers for the help guys.
  12. paddy

If you want it i can meet you at Boxhill car park sometime and its yours for a tenner. :)
  13. Chappy

I'd say to try and remove the radio and test the voltage coming down the constant and switched live so if you do splash out on an RNS, it won't be a waste of money if the problem is elsewhere :)
  14. BBlackburn

BBlackburn Member

Yeah that's what I'm going to do tomorrow I needed to grab another voltage tester my fluke doesn't reach inside the terminals properly, I hope it is a lose connection Is there anyway to tighten the cables in the terminals? There not soldered in or anything are they?