1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radiator flaps?

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by rizzini7, Jul 29, 2013.

1. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[Jul 29, 2013]
    My serpentine belt (think its what's its called) split the other night and causing whip knocked out the plastic flaps behind the radiator. My mate said they open up to let more cold air in? Do I need to get them replaced???
    He's getting a new belt today and I told him it might as well have the tensioner as well which I assume is a good idea. Cars now on 96k 2005 plate.

Thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 25, 2014]

3. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[Jul 29, 2013]
    All sorted I believe. Didn't change tensioner as he said it doesn't look old and looked fine as did pulleys. Apparently the cause was a rabbit he found beheaded in the under tray (yummy). As you can imagine it wasn't to fresh

Right belts replaced. However he couldn't put the flaps back as they're broken. So do I need them??
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  4. Molnboman

Molnboman Well-Known Member

[Jul 29, 2013]
    Rabbit caught literally between the headlights?!!! Jaysus, whatever next?!! Sorry, couldn't tell you about those flaps....never looked that detailed at that end. I take it the fans are working okay without them. No increase in temperature on the dial etc etc. I have a good recipe for rabbit if the mechanic wants it! :blush:

BR
    A
  5. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[Jul 29, 2013]
    Lol, worse thing is i cant remember hitting one in a while let alone how it managed to get in there. I haven't been out in it yet. But will keep an eye on temp. He started it and left ticking over for a while. Fan was running fine after he removed the belt that was jammed in it.
  6. Molnboman

[Jul 31, 2013]
    You've jinxed me you have! Lol.....just did a quick once over seeing if there was any after effects from the recent flash ecu upgrade and looking down near the auxiliary belt I spied this bit of plastic.....ffs....it's the third flap down scraping againt my belt! Managed to remove it....looks like it was an old bodged repair as there was some sort of sticky glue on the broken side....Going to check if you can order the flaps separately ( Valeo part )

Cheers
    A
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  7. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[Jul 31, 2013]
    Sorry mate lol, maybe that's what happened to mine if not then. It split a strip off the belt causing a whip. It then ripped all the flaps out of mine snapping the locating pins off one side. When I lifted the bonnet one of the flaps was then going round the pulley :). Let me know how you get on finding the part. I had no luck on eBay. Saw a complete unit attached to the slam panel for sale. Will ask next time I head to TPS if you have no luck. Sadly I can't get ETKA working on my PC anymore to look for the part.
  8. Molnboman

[Jul 31, 2013]
    Keep us in the loop.....btw here's the definition of what they do from another site q&a.

BR
    Allan

They open to let air flow through at speed, but get sucked shut when the fan is on at low speeds/stationary to maximise airflow through the rad.

9. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[Jul 31, 2013]
    Ah nice one, so not a Big issue if I don't replace them for a while
  10. Molnboman

[Jul 31, 2013]
    Aye, fine just keep driving at Full speed.....and just explain the above to the arresting Traffic officer! :busted_cop:

Cheers
    A
  11. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[Aug 2, 2013]
    Damn it the Fan is jammed! Running a bit hot at the moment :(. Got a bit of belt stuck in it. Hopefully my mate is gonna try and free it. Then fingers crossed the fan isn't burnt out. As for the flaps I'll look into it for you when I know the fan doesn't need replacing so I can order in one lot.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  12. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[Aug 6, 2013]
    I'd live without them unless you can find secondhand mate. TPS told me they're part of the cowl and where well over £100 I think.