R32 V6 Motor into Mk5 Tdi (Idea...)

JudderMan

Reaction score
I have a 2l tdi mk5 Golf and want the R32 as I've dropped from 20k miles a year to about 10k.

Yes, buying an R32 would be so much easier but my spec is great, and the only thing missing is a tuneful engine. I don't want a turbo 2l, been there done that and got the bill for a tfsi fail (elsewhere in this forum).

Problem, my car isn't 4wd and I don't particularly want it to be. Would my DSG handle the extra power? I'm sure it would.

Ecu, use the r32s, surely?

Exhaust, easy.

What else? My car was 2k. And engine is 1300 on ebay (same price as I paid for a new tfsi..). Mate of mine runs a garage and 600 is what he charged me for the tfsi swap. Even if the whole thing was 3k that's still far cheaper than the cheapest r32 for sale and 4wd isn't really my thing anyway. If I could just make it rwd then it'd be ideal...

This isn't about power, so I don't want a turbo.

Any other problems? Thoughts or experience? I've Googled obviously.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Sounds ace!

Think you might be able to use the transmission out of the 24v VR6 so you don't need to keep the rear drive assembly disconnected plus its cheaper than the R32 one (all just going off Google I have no real experience).

If you do go the whole way I'd love to see pictures plus any tips or things you guys hit as engine swaps like this are awesome.

Reactions: JudderMan
Thanks Jake, I was expecting to be laughed at haha.

Yeah it might be an option, I've asked a few companies that do swaps and a popular one is to drop the new v6 in an mk4 Golf chassis (non r32 mk4) so I can't see there being too much of a problem, ie fabrication.

I need/want new suspension anyway so would get r32 fronts but Apparantly the ARBs are larger diameter and top mounts, so that's something to look into.

If it happens it'll be late next year.

I think you will need to change the fuel supply over so maybe a petrol tank and pump from the R32 variant as well, bigger brakes needed as well. Would be cool to keep the original badges - make it a proper sleeper :)

Reactions: JudderMan
I think you will need to change the fuel supply over so maybe a petrol tank and pump from the R32 variant as well, bigger brakes needed as well. Would be cool to keep the original badges - make it a proper sleeper :)
Ah of course, good shout mate. Was gonna get R32 brakes even as a TDI as they are terrible for fading when pushing on.

Defo keeping the GT badges ;)