R.I.P S3 ENGINE

leondehaas

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-s3.nl
After doing 80.000 M the engine gave up on me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
First diagnosis at nearest Audi garage: broken exhaust valve, which consequently damaged a substantial part of the engine. The damage to the pistons, cilinders etc seems to be that bad that the engine is beyond repair. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Got three options:
-sell and try to forget my S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
-have engine swapped for standard 210bhp block /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
-have my tuner fit in a 225bhp block and restore it back to it's former output of 350bhp. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

I will get some more insights about prices etc tomorrow.

Anyone have had this valve problems before?

Sorry to hear that. With that power though 80K can't be that bad! How long was it running 350BHP? Just curious. Yours is one of the highest output cars I've heard of.

I thought the 210 and 225 engines were identical internals, just the VVT and ECU differences? Surely a 210 is tunable to 350 as well?

It ran 20K with the mods, had allready high oil usage before mod. prob the oil ring on the piston caused the initial damage. The tuning has only speeded up the damage process.

210 and 225 engine blocks are indeed identical. I have the 210bhp version (tuned up to 350bhp), in case of swap to 225 the software of the ECU should be re-written in order to have ECU and the newer 225 block compatible.

BTW 350 bhp with a 210 original is really not the maximum, seen worse mods than that. But surely it is a good start.

[ QUOTE ]
S3-Leon said:
It ran 20K with the mods, had allready high oil usage before mod. prob the oil ring on the piston caused the initial damage. The tuning has only speeded up the damage process.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you clarify about the high oil usage?

Dunc

[ QUOTE ]
pure said:
350bhp from an ecu only? ehh

did u have a bigger turbo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whish that was possible with only ECU /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Course not: things like turbo, exh. manifold, fuel injectors, DV. etc etc. was changed to achieve the 350 bhp.

Leon,

why did you do all that work to an engine that clearly wasn't in any state to me modded to that extent?? I refer to the high oil usage before the big turbo conv was carried out.

I mean 350bhp, thats alot for an engine thats not 100%

Really sorry to hear that Leon, I'm trying to save money to get mine to around 350BHP. surely you can't bear to be without your s3???

ScotSTHREE does your S3 not use any oil, as mine has not been modded and uses 1/2 L of oil every 1000miles and that's well within the 1L of oil audi quote for every 1000km and that's for engines in tolerance!

Anyhow just my 5p worth...

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:
Leon,

why did you do all that work to an engine that clearly wasn't in any state to me modded to that extent?? I refer to the high oil usage before the big turbo conv was carried out.

I mean 350bhp, thats alot for an engine thats not 100%

[/ QUOTE ]

Well how many of the guys have a usage of 1ltr per 1000 M.... seems to be quite normal from what I read. Thus the problem could not be concluded from the oil usage. So i saw no harm in going for the 350 conv.

If I only knew... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sorry to hear anyway matey. Mine used a bit for a while. But usage seems to have all but stopped??? can't explain it? Still drive it the same too?

Well, if you are going back to standard Leon, I'll buy your turbo & injectors off you! Manifold wont work as yours is a LHD which has thr turbo sitting in a different angle due to the master cylinder.

my oil usage dropped off after some apr magic. May have been a conincidence, but I believne its more than likely that I don't need to rev the engine as much to get performance?

glad I dont have a turbo - I've had my A3 for almost two years and between services I dont top it up at all.

My understanding is that its just when your engine is new that it'll use a lot of oil. My S3 was drinking oil in the first 6000 miles of its life, now its at 25k and I haven't toped it up in about 10000 miles.