Quiz time, what's wrong with my car?

toastyhamster

Reaction score
Booked in tomorrow to find out what's going on.

Low speed grooooooaan every half a wheel rotation (only below 10mph) on n/s front. Audible through the car with the radio on and definitely audible outside.

Braking from 60-40 gives bad steering wheel vibration, like very badly balanced wheels. Below 10mph feels like I'm going over small speed bumps.

General vibration through the pedals when slowing down. Accelerating is fine and high (still legal!) speeds also feels smooth, whatever it is isn't apparent at higher speeds.

Wheels recently refurbed but wasn't apparent when they were fitted and it's getting worse, so unless the two part rims are coming apart it's not them. Wheel bearing was changed a couple of thousand miles ago, doesn't feel like that anyway.

I'm hoping warped disc as that's the cheapest thing I can think of, maybe cv joint (if quattro even has those).

Answer tomorrow.

Obviously start with wheel balance and tracking if not already done. Most likely be a warped disc. What are the tyres like though? A feathered tyre tread can give horrible noise and feel like a bearing is going...

Reactions: Chop.
Did your wheels have spigot rings before refurb, if so, check these have been put back on.
JG

Reactions: xpoweruk
No spigot rings, genuine Audi BBS split rims.

I'm not 100% sure the rims were balanced before they were fitted, but this is something that's getting a lot worse than just balancing, I'd expect vibration but not noise at 3mph.

Disc probably not far off needed anyway, 60k and I'm pretty heavy with both feet, so fingers crossed :)

Meeeeh, flipping hope not! 750 miles on loose bolts :-o I watched him torque them up!

If the mounting face was powdercoated there is every chance the bolts are now loose and will continue to come loose.

Reactions: Chop.
Do the simple things you can do first before paying someone,I had it after a bearing was replaced called the AA and my wheel was close to coming off

If your wheels just been refurbed or powder coated then you need to take them off and sand down the inside face of the wheel where it meets hub

With the wheel having a fresh layer of paint on the back face when you tighten it up the nuts will go tight but after a few miles the pressure and the movement will breakdown the paint and your wheel bolts will need re torqued

Best way is to remove them and clean up faces then refit and torque, uv seen this a few times on. Various motors

And like everyone says if not that then simple things first

Hope you get on ok

n/s front caliper seized, plus they're pricing up new front disks/pads - knew they were needed next service anyway. So, see if they can fix the caliper when it's stripped else I'm stumping up for a new caliper too. Apparently all the disks are purple, heavy braking (yup sounds like my driving!).