Quietest diverter valve

JonnyDerv

Reaction score
As some might know I had a forge 008 on my s3 when I bought it so it's always been an after thought. I was driving around this morning with the windows down in the sunshine and thought this diverter valve sounds chavvy.

So I'm looking at something as quiet as possible, which I'm guessing means oem, albeit it a stronger oem. So I was looking at the usual oem upgraded diverter valves such as:
http://www.awesomegti.com/oem-2-0t-upgraded-piston-diverter-valve

Would I be right in saying it's going to be quieter than the forge one and less boy racer?

As some might know I had a forge 008 on my s3 when I bought it so it's always been an after thought. I was driving around this morning with the windows down in the sunshine and thought this diverter valve sounds chavvy.

So I'm looking at something as quiet as possible, which I'm guessing means oem, albeit it a stronger oem. So I was looking at the usual oem upgraded diverter valves such as:
http://www.awesomegti.com/oem-2-0t-upgraded-piston-diverter-valve

Would I be right in saying it's going to be quieter than the forge one and less boy racer?

That will not fit a 1.8t... If you want your DV to be quieter fit a standard airbox, that is probably about the only thing you can do. I'd even be surprised if an OEM DV is any quieter than the 007/008

Reactions: A3-Lee
Any chance you have an open cone filter fitted?

That will not fit a 1.8t... If you want your DV to be quieter fit a standard airbox, that is probably about the only thing you can do. I'd even be surprised if an OEM DV is any quieter than the 007/008

Oops yeah realised its only 1.8 tfsi and tsi fitment.

Yeah open filter, might have to look into modifying the airbox to take the filter.

Thanks

it's the open filter that is causing the noise, not the DV. Either make your own airbox or fit the pod in the standard airbox (some cutting may be required)

Reactions: Essexman
as above. the DV makes no noise as such, it's the induction system that's causing the noise.

An OE DV on an open cone is just as loud as a forge. You need something enclosed, or the standard airbox to kill that noise.

So I've got three options, 1) put up with the noise and keep the gains or 2) drop the jetex, be quieter and lose gains, 3rd option try and get the jetex to fit in the stock airbox, although looking through some past threads that doesn't seem to stop the noise that much.

Mine was 'quiet' when I did it... in fact I don't really hear it that much now either

<tuffty/>

What theoretically is the estimated max bhp you'd see from the standard airbox and paper filter? I know I'd lose some bhp dropping the jetex if I choose to, I'm just thinking does the standard paper filter support the flow of a hybrid?

Use the airbox and a green cotton panel filter... open the 'intake' of the lower section using a bit of 3" hose as a cold air feed... I did this on mine originally... there are pics etc in my thread

<tuffty/>

little update, just fitted an oem DV, it's soooo much quieter, it's got rid of the chavvy dump from the forge, car seems to pick up abit better too. Very happy with the change :).

Reactions: VAG-Slag
my custom map with a forge dv, samco tip, bmc panel filter, de-restricted air box & MAF plastic mesh removed is quite noisy, i wouldn't mind a de-baffled boost pipe. I quite like the pitch & woosh of the turbo but each to their own.

removing maf screen is not advised.. placebo not actual power gains.. sensor then will read erratically and without its lamina flow screen.

my custom map with a forge dv, samco tip, bmc panel filter, de-restricted air box & MAF plastic mesh removed is quite noisy, i wouldn't mind a de-baffled boost pipe. I quite like the pitch & woosh of the turbo but each to their own.

I prefer my car to sound more oem, it's fun people thinking its standard lol