Quick Xenon Query....

craigsy

Up North...
Reaction score
Website
www.djstore.com
Hi Folks!

Hope you're all having a good xmas so far!!

As title says... my 2001 S3 is due it's MOT just into the new year and i'm having concerns about my headlights, I wandered if the xenons should do a self levelling procedure when switched on? I used to have a Mini Cooper S which did this every time.

Just a bit panicky that the garage tell me both headlights may need replaced at the same time- not good!

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Craig

Dude, they are built in, what makes you think you have a problem with them??

If I were parked facing a wall for example, when i switch the headlights on i would have expected to physically see the beam move and reset to a central position, maybe i just thought that was normal after my Mini did that?!

Cheers :)

LOL....they should do that.

If you put the lights on for the 1st time, or if you get someone to do it and you listen to the motors by the headlights you should hear them, even with mine, when i put the lights on, they dont move much.

sometimes mine move, sometimes they don't, Whats that all about??

The levelling system in the S3 is quite primitive as it has been around since 1998. In newer cars the actual projector visibly raises which is why the beam moving is so noticeable. In the S3 it's the ordinary headlamp motors which do the adjusting so unless you're parked opposite a white surface you'll barely notice them. You can normally hear the motors a few seconds after you switch the lights on.