Quick throttle body question

NineNails

Proud sponsor of the snack food industry
Reaction score
I want to take my tb off for a clean. Is it really necessary to replace any gaskets or can you get away without? Would it benefit from a clean? I wouldn't imagine it's ever had one...
Ta
Si.

if it ain't broken.,.....

can clean it in situ if you really want to.

as above, but if you really must take it off you should really use new gaskets as the old ones will have deformed/squashed, and run a throttle body alignment with vagcom once its put back together...

What do you mean clean the throttle body? The inside around the butterfly valve? I hear of people doing this all the time, I think it's a ridiculous idea. Unless it's full of carbon which it won't be. Bad idle can be caused by air leak, maf, spark plugs, dirty injectors and a few other things.

Last edited:
Ok just to update....
I didn't bother taking off the body. I just took off the pipe and squirted a bit of carb cleaner up the body and wiped it out with a rag and got loads of black crud out of it and took my time making sure I got the butterfly edges as clean as I could. I then ran the alignment with vagcom. When I first went to meas block 98 the end field said ERROR but after I ran it it said ADP:OK.
Seems Problem solved....so far
Cheers