1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick question re front brakes

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by DavidW, Apr 25, 2011.

1. DavidW

DavidW Member

[Apr 25, 2011]
    About to swap the front disks and pads but just a couple of items. What size allen key do I need for the calipers and will I need to wind the calipers back, if so which is the best tool to get for this.
    Cheers.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Apr 25, 2011]
    Front calipers do not need to be wound back, pushing them with a G clamp or similar is fine. as for the allen key, you need a 7mm.

Oh and when you push the pistons in lossen the master cylinder cap or as you push the fluid back it will spray everywhere. It may overflow if it's full up so have some rags handy
  4. DavidW

DavidW Member

[Apr 25, 2011]
    Sods law I have a 6mm and an 8mm then! Yeah, read on Elsa about the fluid cap but it also mentions piston resetting but I thought a tool was only necessary for the rears.

Thanks for your help.
  5. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Apr 25, 2011]
    yeah 7mm is rarley found in sets for some reason
  6. DavidW

DavidW Member

[Apr 26, 2011]
    A bit like the 18mm socket I assume you need for the caliper brackets when I have 11/16, 3/4, 17mm and 19mm! :(

All sorted now though, nice and simple except for the lack of tools. Went for Mintex disks and pads as a local place had them in stock on a bank holiday Monday and the existing ones (EBC Greenstuff) had gone through to the backing on one side.To be fair they had been on for 5 years which I think is pretty decent! it's nice to finally get rid of that damn pad warning light on the DIS at last too!