1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quick question on flywheels

jcb Oct 7, 2011

1. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

if the 1.8tqs has a 210mm clutch and the S3 has a 240mm clutch and the S4 has a 240mm clutch.....

why cant 1.8t owners looking to use an S4 clutch use an S3 flywheel and an S4 clutch?

is the BAM engine (S3/TT) crank bolt pattern the same as other 1.8t's?

2. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

The 1.8t A4 uses a 228mm clutch iirc, and the flywheels on tranverse are differant I think either crank bolt pattern or starter ring aragorn will now more on this subject lol

Also A4's and S3's use dual mass flywheels and S4's have a solid flywheel so the friction plate has a sprung hub where as a dual mass doesn't.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

The transverse boxes use a different input shaft spline to the longitudinal ones, and the geometry of the starter ring is different as is the overall "height" of the flywheel/clutch pack. The starter attaches the other way round on a transverse engine, with the motor body alongside the transmission rather than the engine.

They're also dual mass, and jsut as expensive new as a ECS or TTV conversion item, and i'm not sure i'd be wanting to fit a used dm flywheel to my engine.

The crank itself is the same.

4. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

so my TTV flywheel 240mm won't fit an S3 then!
    damn, thought I had a buyer