1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick question on custom exhaust systems

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Metro, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Metro

Metro Error

[Feb 29, 2012]
    Evening all, I've just had a friend on the phone saying he's talked to a custom exhaust guy about getting a discount on getting a system for both of our cars, in regards to these 1.8t engines ive done some reading that to make a difference with an exhaust system I'd need to get a bigger bore down pipe. I'd rather not loose my cat or buy a new one, but are the cats on the existing down pipe or after?

Has anyone had a full custom job done and kept their existing cat and how much roughly has it cost? I'm being quoted between £380 and £430.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 27, 2014]

3. Customboy

Customboy Member

[Feb 29, 2012]
    At that price u can just go and buy a miltek system mate and a bigger down pipe does make alot of difference with a decat it's less restrictive, I've done it on my car and I'm glad I did I do have a sports cat for sale if ur interested only covered 100 miles! On my Audi 1999 1.8t the cat is after the downpipe mate hope this helps
  4. Customboy

Customboy Member

[Feb 29, 2012]
  5. Metro

Metro Error

[Feb 29, 2012]
    Thankyou very much for the link ill just look through it now. I was wanting a custom job because I've got somepretty specific ideas on what I want out of it that I'm guessing I wouldnt get going for an off the shelf solution. I don't like noisy cars, i know I'd get more of a grunt with a less restrictive system but ive heard that a custom exhaust can be tuned with baffles to reduce noise.
  6. S3featesV9

S3featesV9 Active Member

[Feb 29, 2012]
    Tried longlife? They do custom jobs. I had a custom centre section done to go with my scorpion back box, £100 IIRC. Still using standard Downpipe and cat too.

Sounds epic when you want it too, other than that it's quiet as you like.
  7. Metro

Metro Error

[Mar 1, 2012]
    Cheers ill look in to them!
  8. Jimgrim77

Jimgrim77 Member

[Mar 1, 2012]
    I had a full custom with 200 call sport cat with 3" downpipe on my s3 and paid about £650 all in including labour. Yours should be cheaper as the downpipe is a pain to fit with 4 wheel prop shaft in the way and therefore easier fitment.

If done with decent steel and quality workmanship, your quote is reasonable.