1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick question for anyone with a new 2009 A3

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by h5djr, Apr 12, 2009.

1. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Jun 15, 2009]
    Its possible knowing audi's thought process tbh, but it does make me wonder if its a coding option within the K module anyway as it doesnt actually state in etka to specifically use the other part number aswell as the K ecu, so this kinda leads us to beleive they've made the K ecu hybrid, only one way to find out huh.

Bloody etka still doesnt work properly, oh well Vista reinstall it is, due for one anyway, be back in an hour or so.
  2. Oxfordian

Oxfordian New Member

[Jun 15, 2009]
    Someone may have answered already - too lazy to read the whole thread.

Took delivery of a new A3 on Friday 12th June and the stalk stays in position. You simply flick if forwards for high beam and it springs back into position and pull it back to steering wheel to get back to dipped and it springs back to original position. By far the best method in my opinion.
  3. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Jun 15, 2009]
    Nigel, I should go back to Windows XP if I was you!

or you could try the new Release Candidate of Windows 7. I have both running on my desktop and the new Windows 7 seems to be everything that Vista should have been.

Personally I stuck with XP on my desktop and laptop and on my wife's desktop.
  4. h5djr

[Jun 15, 2009]
    Thank you kind Sir. Just what we wanted to hear. I agree much the best method. Unfortuately my A3 was built in mid-April 2009 so still has the old click in to postion version, but I may well get it changed.

Don't happen to have a copy of VAG.COM or (VCDS as it's now known) or know anyone who has do you?. If you do we would be keen to confirm the part number of the module 16 Steering Wheel Module.
  5. NHN

[Jun 15, 2009]
    Talking to an IT guy mate, lol, 7 is faster in RC but still doesnt woooo me tbh, see what rc2 is or actual release, actually I think it may have RTM already tbh so no rc2 coming, time will tell as its released Oct anyway.

So looks like we may have a winner then, K module with F stalk, back order I suspect given brand new.

Dave this is classed as a mod, thought you didnt like modding cars :whistle2:

I'm in South East mate, so few hours drive for you TBH & anyway you can do this easily yourself, if you're that worried just discon the battery & remove airbag, wheel then trims then module underneath & stalk, code test then all back on fully.
  6. NHN

[Jun 15, 2009]
    Welcome to the site.

Tell me does the pull back flash of headlights still work ok then with the new stalk when no lights are on or do you have to push forward for a quick flash now?
  7. h5djr

[Jun 15, 2009]
    More of a replacement of parts on a 'almost' like for like basis than a Mod!!!. I'm sure it will probably go a little faster though when it's done!!

Perhaps I might bite the bullet and have a go myself. Mind you a few hours driving is no problem, especially in an A3. I shall be driving nearly 1000 miles to Austria later in the year. Any idea of the sort of cost we would be talking about? I know the parts would be around £180 presumably plus VAT.
  8. h5djr

[Jun 15, 2009]
    Same here. I was a Network Manager and the IT support person for the Property Department of a Local Authority for 10+ years and I still prefer working on XP to either Vista or 7. I bought a new Sony laptop a few months ago. It came with Vista installed but Sony make available all that is necessary to take it back to XP on their website so that's what I did. Runs quicker with XP that it did with Vista.
  9. pns2007

pns2007 Member VCDS Map User

[Jun 15, 2009]
    Thanks for the info Dave and Nigel, you've been busy whilst I've been at work :)

Seems Audi's computer system is off the mark again with this as 'my' dealer did order one (I have it in my greasy palm) and it was on back order and took two weeks to get. The D stalk should be here tomorrow after being ordered late sat morning

My version of ETKA lists the D switch and I think thats the one they've now ordered to try out. I too am confused with this date thing. I'm thinking if they have fitted the 'older' F module to my car then the older D (or perhaps C) Stalk will work with no issues. The only other thing to do is to take it to Audi dealer and get them to re-code. Problem is that if it does turn out wrong part I could be paying mega bucks for something I could have done myself. Do you think the D stalk will work fine (even if you don't know, with your experience Nigel do you think it would work ok?)

On the face of it because everything else works fine and I have no fault codes it could be mechanical in my case. I can push the new spring loaded stalk forward and hold it there and the main beam stayis on. This is the only anomaly!

Thanks again (and 'thanks' given to both of you)

Neil
  10. Oxfordian

Oxfordian New Member

[Jun 15, 2009]
    Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to participating :jump:

And, yep, the stalk pulls back (toward the wheel) to flash the main beam when no lights on. Used it today in fact.
  11. h5djr

[Jun 16, 2009]
    Interesting. Unfortuately thinking about it, it's not quite what I wanted. On some cars I've had, if the headlights were switched on, you pulled the lever towards the steering wheel and it changed to high beam and if you did exactly the same again it changed back to dip. If the headlights were not switched on, then pulling the lever towards the steering wheel just flashed the headlights. The Audi system seems to be slightly different.
  12. pns2007

[Jun 16, 2009]
    Picked up the new stalk today, the part number they ordered was 8P0 953 513 B 9B9 and not D as previously thought.

Well at 8.30 pm tonight I could resist the temptation to fit it to see if it works and it does. Quite pleased with myselfy as it only took 45 mins to do. (Not bad for a novice:))

The only difference I can tell between the two besides the 'clicking into position' is the different graphics showing which way to move the stalk. Checked the wiring and there was the same number of wires and colouring (if thats of any use).

Happy now and thanks everyone for their input

:beerchug:
  13. NHN

[Jun 17, 2009]
    No worries, but I do like the way you've now spent nearly £200 of my money again, lol, I want the new style not old, lol, but still yours should be the C part, can you check with a dealer what your chassis comes up with 100% just to humour me as Mitch is never wrong.

Well once Mr Oxfordian (nudge nudge wink wink) provides his chassis so can confirm the parts then I'm gonna order even if back order items.
  14. pns2007

[Jun 17, 2009]
    Cheques in the post :undwech:

(You'll have the old parts on e-bay and make most of it back)

Yes I did (with three of them) and they all said F. Perhaps they advised me on a C as a safe option?

Thanks for your help anyway. My final wish list is a set of Xenons, you don't fancy spending another 2K do you (on my behalf:))
  15. NHN

[Jun 17, 2009]
    Hello & welcome to the new game show called fill in the blanks, please complete the missing spaces

_ _ _ _ OFF

lmfao
  16. pns2007

[Jun 17, 2009]
    :moa:

:respekt:
  17. NHN

[Jun 17, 2009]
    I thought you'd like that, lol.
  18. NHN

[Jun 29, 2009]
    Uh you'd like to think this wouldnt you Dave lol, so you're not back tracking on your comment on another previous thread about not liking people modding there cars to be something its not, its a modification to your factory spec, its a MOD, simple as that.

On a another note I am awaiting a new May/June car to come into my dealer to check the parts fitted so can be sure its as we thought as Mr Oxford hasnt replied to my PM about his chassis number so cant check that route.
  19. NHN

[Jul 15, 2009]
    Ok guys to add to the thread discussion, I actually got my new steering controller K & the new stalk F with sprung loaded action, put all on & coded & didnt work interms of holding the headlight on full beam, so this is something to investigate.

But more alarming, I got an error saying no comms with steering angle sensor, on further investigation the new board doesnt even have the damn pins for the sensor to connect to the board, so this has confused the hell out of me, now either they've changed things about so no sensor there anymore or this board hasnt been made properly & is missing bits.

Further investigations needed I feel, so watch this space, the headlight switch issue must be related to coding somewhere or another newer module required to allow this function to be recognised/work, maybe in 09 module, we'll see.

Update you when I know more things, gonna interrogate etka & elsa for more info.
  20. NHN

[Oct 7, 2011]
    Well the newer sprung loaded headlight stalk relies on a variety of options fitted, newer ce board, steering rack wiring changes afaik given the steering sensor is removed from newer cars now & the sensor readings taken from the rack itself & coding to tell the car it has momentary headlight stalk which also allows for high beam assist to be modded in which is another discussion altogether.
  21. jb0o

jb0o North East Forum Moderator Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Oct 7, 2011]
    Good info Nige.

I noticed that the A3's 2009 onwards don't have the detatchable sensor like the <2009 do. This also confirms that the Highline 'K' Steering ECU can't be used in <2009 A3's where the Highline 'F' module would usually be used.
  22. WAFTER

WAFTER Member

[Oct 7, 2011]
    I have a surplus headlight switch stalk thingy which was removed and changed when I had cruise control retro fitted. Is it of use to you? Alos have original column cowling.
  23. jb0o

jb0o North East Forum Moderator Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Oct 7, 2011]
    Not sure if thats to myself or Nigel but like myself, I assume Nigel has a box full of 50+ indicator stalks and old cowlings haha.