Quick Question About Starting The Engine

myth

Reaction score
Does your radio and/or climate control "restarts" when you start your engine? I'm especially curios about 2.5tdi v6. And by "restart" I mean if they shuts down and then powers on again when the engine is started.

Sometimes yes. 2.5 TDI allroad. I think it is to do with the battery volts/amps. I find that if the car hasn't been used for a few days or the weather is a bit colder the radio will do what you describe.

Out of curiosity do you wait for the glow plug light to go out before you turn the engine over?

Yeah, I wait for the glow plug light to go off, in the morning(if it's the case). If I know the engine is warm, I start the engine in an instant, without even looking at the light.

My car does what I describe above even with a new battery, so that means the starter is at fault. After viewing a video of my engine cranking, adams24 said he never saw a v6 tdi crank that slow before. I haven't paid attention as I didn't used the car in a while.

Yeah mine cranks virtually instantly, from the point of turning the key you couldn't count to one before the engine starts.

I think my radio/blowers always turn themselves off whilst engine cranking but that is so quick its hardly noticible. so long as let glow plug lamp go out starting is almost instant and with a roar like its waiting to be started or if already warm no need to wait.

That's weird.
A friend of mine has an '02 allroad and this radio and climate control doesn't shut off while cranking.

That's weird.
A friend of mine has an '02 allroad and this radio and climate control doesn't shut off while cranking.

As mentioned above, it depends on a number of factors, such as battery condition, starter motor, ambient temperature. If I were you I'd start with a battery tester and check the condition of your battery.

The battery is only a few months old and it's 100Ah. So, next week I'll check the cables and if anything is OK, I must replace the starter.

sorry I was wrong. mine don't turn off actually. it takes 5 seconds or so for the blowers to start after turning ignition on (but climate control system lights up instantly) and during that time I have normally started the engine. radio does not turn off but does mute its speakers whilst cranking, unit stays on.

if yours turn off completely and engine cranks over slow maybe the starter motor is drawing too much current?