Quick help needed guys!

Thai Boxer

Reaction score
Got the red steering wheel dash light on and no power steering at all. Spoken to loads of different places about it and had the diagnostics check and the ecu can't communicate with the rack. :(

My steering rack part number is 1K2423051AC.

Does anyone know if other rack part numbers ending in 'A' will be compatible WITHOUT having to get it coded by audi? They want £115 to code it.

Anyone know much about these steering rack problems? Any help would be great guys thanks.

I know that I had the same problem a couple of years back on my TDi, the only thing was it was intermittent.
I had the connections cleaned and it sorted it out, only to come back again when the car lay idle for two weeks. Everyone wanted £1000 for a rack but, eventually, I hit a pothole and it started working again.
I don't have much faith in the electrics at all, never showed a fault other than the light coming on, on the dash.
It's an expensive day out, a steering rack.

Reactions: DJ_26
Thanks for the reply mate. Yeah same thing here, it went completely... Very heavy steering on my 18"s. Then completely came back on again a week later for a very short time. Now it's only 'slightly' working, still heavy steering but feels like the motor is doing something if very little.

Does look like an electrical problem as it has started working briefly before. Plugging the laptop in says it's the communication between the ecu and the motor. Its not a cheap fix anyway way of looking at it.

Anyone got any ideas? Any help would be great thanks.