Quick check before i fit my catch can...

****, forgot i said id nip down saturday mate, sorry, where you at the mrs or the lock up? Ive run a length or tube with a small filter on all the way to the rear passnger wheel, no mess or smell and it all cable ties nicely under the chassis.

i just read somewhere that since a member vented his catch tank to atmos the amount of oil in the tank has more than halved.
surly the whole point in the pcv system is to draw (via vacuum) the nasty gasses and vapours out of the block.....so if you vent to atmos there cant be any vacuum? and therefore your not effectively drawing these vapours out?

oh and does anyone know, what size brake servo one way valve i need, inlet and outlet diameter?

i just read somewhere that since a member vented his catch tank to atmos the amount of oil in the tank has more than halved.
surly the whole point in the pcv system is to draw (via vacuum) the nasty gasses and vapours out of the block.....so if you vent to atmos there cant be any vacuum? and therefore your not effectively drawing these vapours out?

oh and does anyone know, what size brake servo one way valve i need, inlet and outlet diameter?

The whole point of the catch can is to stop oily vapour going into the charge system and reducing performance by stopping it going into the engine. The catch can I have works a treat. The charge pipes on my car are clean as a whistle, not one trace of oil.

This is the 1 way valve I've used. Fuel Tank Non Return Valves For Boats HIGH QUALITY-12mm | eBay

I worried about the block becoming preasurised .
But the block can breath as i can feel from putting my hand in the way of where the can vents now.
So surely all is well?

Bill,
I just ment that due to the removal of the pipes allowing the crank case fumes/ vapours to be pulled under boost from the block into the intake pipe that it wouldnt breath as well.
Im not sure if its all hype or the cold weather but the car is running spot on since the mod so deffo no problems to report,

Im not sure if its all hype or the cold weather but the car is running spot on since the mod so deffo no problems to report,

I noticed mine straight after the mod too. You've removed a load of hose that was potentially blocked and you've also simplified the route so you should feel the difference. :thumbsup:

The whole point of the catch can is to stop oily vapour going into the charge system and reducing performance by stopping it going into the engine. The catch can I have works a treat. The charge pipes on my car are clean as a whistle, not one trace of oil.

This is the 1 way valve I've used. Fuel Tank Non Return Valves For Boats HIGH QUALITY-12mm | eBay

I thought we established that this valve was not actually necessary hence my updated paint piccy!

Am gonna vent mine to atmos and have ordered a 19mm filter off ebay and am going to use the pipe i had left over and run it to the bottom of the engine bay or wherevever seems most suitable :)

Right sorted my catch can to vent to atmos now.

I had about 1.25m of 19mm hose left over after fitting the catch can the first time so i used that and bought this filter off ebay RAMAIR 19mm Breather filter Oil Crankcase Air 100% MADE IN THE UK By RAMAIR | eBay i then used a 19mm joiner to connect the 2 together.

So removed the hockey puck (well actually snapped it in 2 whilst trying) blocked up the hole in the tip using a bolt that was the right size. Put the new long bit of pipe on the outlet of the catchcan and then ran that down past the TIP to the uderside of the car just back from the engine bay and cable tied it to the pipes under the passenger side.

So far all seems as good idle well and so far no smells or anything.

Quick question : how often does the catch can normally need to be emptied? and what do you do with the gunk?

Quick question : how often does the catch can normally need to be emptied? and what do you do with the gunk?

I check mine once a month and normally have a small cup full. It's worse in the winter as condensation gets in with the cold weather and hot engine. I just lob the gunk in next doors hedge :thumbsup:

I check mine once a month and normally have a small cup full. It's worse in the winter as condensation gets in with the cold weather and hot engine. I just lob the gunk in next doors hedge :thumbsup:

recycling at its best lol

Cheers for the reply guys i will keep my eye on it and empty out the gunk to throw into my neighbours bush ooer missus

Got mine fitted yesterday.
Dead easy job once you get started.
I decided to mount mine onto the air filter heat shielding and vented to atmos through the hole in the front wing.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352311505524712

Well the catch can has been on my car about 3 month now so i decided i should maybe check if it needed emptying .
I removed the drain plug slowly with an small cup ready to catch the oily mess...
not a drop . even the end of the drain plug is dry !
The can is mounted to the battery box so i expected it to collect quite a bit as its so low...
There is no oily mess where the cans outlet is. ( still havent pipped it to under the car)
Wierd or good??

Weird, thought you may get some water build up from condesastion at least, mines always got something in it, be it watery oil or a brown running mayo type substance.

wheres the best place to get the hose from for this mod???

I got it from the place that made me the can.
its black over braded re enforced rubber / plastic,
its prob ott but does the job