1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick 12v question

alpesh26 Jun 27, 2012

1. alpesh26

alpesh26 Active Member TeamMisano

Ive just Picked up a new phone charger which sits nice and flush inside the cigarette lighter socket. I'd prefer to leave this in rather than the cig lighter because I don't smoke. Will the charger use any battery power if there is nothing connected to it? It has no light on it but with the cig lighter socket being a permanent live I don't want to wake up to a flat battery. The new charger just has 2 USB sockets on it

Tia

2. Ste_Nova

Ste_Nova Active Member

i've got 2 with lights in mine, no issues even after a full weekend of not using car

3. bizzab7

bizzab7 Member

hi there no it wont drain your battery.your ignition has to be on for the power to reach the contacts of whatever you have plugged in

4. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Even if its live, it will only potentially power 1-2 led's that run at such a low rating it shouldnt be an issue.

5. alpesh26

Cheers guys. Think I'll just leave it in

6. PetrolDave

PetrolDave Well-Known Member

Not true, the "cigarette lighter" is permanently live on the B6 and B7.

7. VagCabby

VagCabby Active Member

I have mine in 24/7 with no battery issues attal

8. bizzab7

bizzab7 Member

Thats new news to me.i was under the impression that it was only a seperate 12v supply that was always live but maybe im wrong lol

9. alpesh26

Hmm, I just plugged in my iPhone into the USB sockets and it started to charge and the keys were no where near the ignition.

Would I be right in saying if nothing is plugged into the USB sockets then there is nothing to draw power (apart from a little to keep the plug powered up)?

10. bizzab7

bizzab7 Member

even if it was on all the time it wouldnt drain your battery as the amount of ampage used will only be little