Questions around Sport/Dynamic and throttle pedal kickdown.

AlanB1976

Reaction score
Hi all

New member and enjoying the forum, hopefully picking up my Audi in a couple of months. I've been reading up on the various systems and technology and am confused by how some work. Hopefully someone here has the knowledge.

1. When in dynamic mode, is there any difference between D and S gears? Will switching to D override the drive select and reduce revs/throttle-response or will they both be the same?

2. Is there any way of setting manual to always be on sport/dynamic. So, if I'm doing a family run in comfort mode and I need power quickly (e.g. collision avoidance), I can gear down quickly via paddle and take control. I know I could put it in sport but just hitting a paddle while my hand is already there would be the fastest means.

3. Similar to a situation above, does the throttle pedal kickdown maintain the current drive and just drop a gear or does that trigger S/dynamic mode for throttle? What I mean is, if I needed the power, would putting my foot down give me everything it's got? I read somewhere on a forum that FULL throttle in any mode will get you the same acceleration, so I assume the kickdown triggers the increased throttle response and higher RPM?

4 And lastly, more just as I don't fully understand it, wouldn't the throttle kickdown be slow to respond as you are accelerating, so the dual clutch technology prepares the next gear up, but then with the kickdown, it is instructed to gear down and so is not prepared for that and takes longer to switch? I suppose there is no real way around this as even changing manually would present the same situation.

Thanks for any passing of knowledge
smile.gif

Alan