Question regarding putting insurance on hold

dieseldoos

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I am pondering selling my car whilst looking for my next one. I own 2 cars, both on there own seperate policys, hence after I have sold the Audi, I would use the other car whilst looking for another to replace the Audi.

My question is, when I contact my insurance company (on the Audi) to say I have sold it, can I put the insurance on hold for a couple of months or so, whilst I look around for my next car, before transferring it over to it?

I have 9 years no claims on that policy, and I dont really want to lose all that, likewise I would normally trade in etc and swap insurance same time, but I rarely drive the Audi any more hence pondering selling before I have found a new car.

Hope all that makes sense.

Hi
On our insurance scheme, we can take NCB from up to 3 years since its expiry so even if you did let the policy lapse, you have a while before it's lost. In any event, if you have a second car with NCB, we would always look to mirror NCB anyway. :)

I am pondering selling my car whilst looking for my next one. I own 2 cars, both on there own seperate policys, hence after I have sold the Audi, I would use the other car whilst looking for another to replace the Audi.

My question is, when I contact my insurance company (on the Audi) to say I have sold it, can I put the insurance on hold for a couple of months or so, whilst I look around for my next car, before transferring it over to it?

I have 9 years no claims on that policy, and I dont really want to lose all that, likewise I would normally trade in etc and swap insurance same time, but I rarely drive the Audi any more hence pondering selling before I have found a new car.

Hope all that makes sense.

Hi,

Most insurers give you a 14 day period to either replace or cancel. After that you would need to cancel it due to not being able to insure a car you no longer own, very few insurers will put your policy on hold - Best to contact your current insurer to check their terms.

If you need any help with insurance please feel free to PM me.

Regards,
Dan.

Hi
On our insurance scheme, we can take NCB from up to 3 years since its expiry so even if you did let the policy lapse, you have a while before it's lost. In any event, if you have a second car with NCB, we would always look to mirror NCB anyway. :)

Well, I might put it up for sale, see what happens, and if it does sell and my current insurer does not play ball, may well be getting in contact with you, I have had some decent quotes allready for the car it looks like im going to buy next, but I am not rushing into buying it either!