question regarding psi on turbo

NathanGlover

Reaction score
i am currently running a ko3s turbo on my 1.8t audi 8l.

current modifications are THS FMIC, full decat back custom exhaust system, forge splitter valve, reg ignition coils and plugs, nuespeed induction kit, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, ESC Stage 1 lightened solid mass flywheel and race clutch.

it was remapped at AMD tuning 223BHP.

I recently fitted a mechanical boost gauge.

My turbo is reading producing a steady 15PSI of boost.

I have read on here that these turbos can run safely run at 22PSI of boost and people run them at 26PSI+

will it just been be a question of sending it down a garage and having the alternator playing with or is it a full remap again?

what figures should i be looking at if it runs 22psi?

The turbo may well be able to run 22psi but the fueling won't be able to cope.

So simply turning up the boost isn't the case, you will need to look at injectors, fuel pump and a bigger MAF I would say!

Its not all about the boost... K03's won't hold over 20 psi anyway... you might get them to spike to it but boost falls like a stone... getting it custom mapped properly by a decent tuner that knows these engines will get the best out of your setup... assuming the turbo isn't tired as most are these days...

<tuffty/>

in reality, the 220+ bhp figure you speak of is typical for 20-22psi of boost from a ko3S.

At 15 psi, yours will sadly be more likely around 200ish, and not running what you believe it is.

There is almost certainly scope for more power if you're at 15 psi currently, and the standard AUM fuel system is more capable than the turbo so that's not something to worry about.

Chances are something has happened since it was mapped causing the loss in boost, and consequently power.