Question on service and cambelt

benr

Reaction score
Hi,
When i take my a3 1.9tdi in for a service (nearly on 80k)

should they advise me if cambelt needs changing? because i dont know when it was last done. Is it possible for them to tell if its on its way out?.

just not sure.

tx

The dealership may have a record of the cambelt being changed in the service history on their puters

Likelikehood is that if it has been changed then it may well have been done by a independant.

Suggest you find trusty local volks/audi mechanic and get a quote for to replace it particularly if you are planning on keeping for the car for a while.

Prices will vary but have the water pump and tensioners and auxillary belt changed at the same time

On a vehicle of that mileage I would recommend you have it done as soon as possible in case it has never been done - I think its unlikely that a visual inspection is going to reveal much.

tx for the reply,

i will have to go through the service history properly and have a look. it was owned by car leasing (comany car thing) for a while who had it serviced up to about 60k i think. but will see what they say when i put it in for service ina cpl of months.

tx
ben

Spiker,

Just reading round the info on here there are two examples of people having belts fail and facing four figure bills let alone the hassle of it failing by the side of the road. Can the leasing folk help at all, or maybe they were tied to a service contract at Audi?

Worst case is they released the car just before the belts were due and it has been missed up to now... it would be quite a cost do do this at Audi.

Go independent if you can find a good one, and as suggested do the water pump/tensioners etc at the same time.. circa £400 ish

The second belt change is due around 120k miles which is way way too long for one belt in my opinion.

HTH

ok when is the first change due? 60k?

ta

following on i was told that my A6 1.9 tdi on a 54 plate does not need doing until 80 k although i will get it done at 4 years or 70k, whichever comes sooner.
earlier years were 60k

I have heard of belt failures on car which have alledgedly had the belt 'changed' by the cars previous owner.

Every car I have purchased has had the belt changed by me regardless of what the service history says. Doesnt cost much at all as I do most spannering jobs myself. Your facing a bill well into 4 figures if the belt were to snap and destroy the valves/cams/head. Not a risk worth taking in my humble opinion.