1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on security codes?

Discussion in 'VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) forum' started by Doug Piranha, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Doug Piranha

Doug Piranha New Member

[Nov 4, 2013]
    Hi all

Bit of a newbie question here maybe - I'm trying to convince myself to shell out for the VCDS system and was doing some research on the Ross-Tech site. In one place it mentions that you might need to enter a security code to be able to write to a controller - does the VCDS software have these codes included? If they are included, what happens if I change car in 3 years time - will it still be able to access modules on the new car (or do you get lifetime software updates)?

Many thanks

DP
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Nov 4, 2013]
    We're genuine sellers, so we'll try & answer your queries :)

There have been no changes for updates since vcds was created, so atm yes it is free to update with genuine vcds cables.

As long as its a vag car & vcds has been updated with access to the newer modules, then newer cars should be fine, however no diagnostic company can see what vag may change in the future, but afaik they have no plans to make changes to the current way they access vag cars, so it should be fine & works on most new chassis available now.

Only limited things for coding need an access code, when coding modules for a feature, if the module has been seen by vcds & a label file created it will popup any data to advise what to code as or input as a security code, eg. cruise control, xenon adaption, not many things require this, so I wouldn't worry to much.

Any questions can be submitted to RT directly as the cables come with support via email anyway :)

If you're interested in a system, give us a shout via PM for a price.
  4. Doug Piranha

Doug Piranha New Member

[Nov 4, 2013]
    Thanks NHN, appreciate the detailed reply. Don't see myself as being a heavy user of the system so want to make sure that it will do me for a good few years / cars!

I'll send a PM now.

Cheers