1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on brake pad warning sensors

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by HARRIM00, Oct 17, 2010.

1. HARRIM00

HARRIM00 New Member

I have an 05 S4 cab and the idiot who put the new pads and disks on it before I bought it, trapped the pad sensor wire between the caliper and the pad so it wore through. My question is about how the sensors operate in normel conditions. Is there a complete circuit which gets broken when the pad wears down, or when the pad wears down, does it then create the circuit? What I want to do is bypass the warning light but I dont know if I need to stop the circuit or connect it.

Thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. gary3306

gary3306 Active Member
    VCDS Map User

You need to join the wires together to bypass it. So snip the wires that come from the pad, bare the ends and join together.

4. HARRIM00

HARRIM00 New Member

Cool, thanks.

5. CHRIS555

CHRIS555 DOPE with added OCD

As far as I remember there is a wire which goes into the pad itself and when the pad is worn down it eventually exposes the wire which in turn set the warning light on. I wouldn't use that mechanic again if he can't get a basic job right like this, especially on a nice car like yours.

6. CHRIS555

CHRIS555 DOPE with added OCD

Sorry just realised it wasn't your mechanic! Apologies - DO USE HIM / THEM!!!!

7. HARRIM00

HARRIM00 New Member

No probs mate. The only person I trust anyway to do jobs like that, is myself.

8. Turkster

Turkster Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

id get new pads and be happy knowing that all was done right down there,

9. HARRIM00

HARRIM00 New Member

I have stripped it down totally and am happy it is all fine, just one trapped wire which is now positioned correctly, waiting for me to bypass.