Question for you JB'd iphone gurus?

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Do I need to restore my phone to factory setting before I update to ios5, or can I just plug into itunes and update as is, but the phone will just no be jailbreaked anymore once updated?

Just plug it in and update it via iTunes but I would back it up first so that once you have updated it to iOS 5.01 you can then restore it using your backup.

You can now jailbreak iOS5.01 I have done my iPhone and my wife's iPhone 4s both are untethered jailbreaks. If I can find the link on my phone I will pm it to you.

Update I tunes to latest jo, then backup, update phone to ios 5.0.1 then crack using latest from devteam using redsn0w. Then restore. For an easy follow guid go to redmanpie.com and follow links for iPhone 4... simples.

Ok, success and failure! I've update the phone to ios5 ok, but because the missus uses my AppleID for her iPhone aswell, she's backedup her phone on icloud, so when I went to restore, it only put her frikin setup on my phone, wiping my contacts in the process!

AAAAAARGH!

I was able to restore some of my own stuff using another laptop which I sync'd with previously, but phonebook all gone! Goddammit!!

Bummer, last time I did mine it jumbled all my contact pics up,
Did you not back yours up before you updated it ??

when i do my restores and backups i always make sure i right click the iphone on the left side where the name comes up and then select backup from there... that forces the system to do a backup manually onto the laptop/pc rather than icloud regardless of its settings.

then i do the restore and once finished i just select the backup that i had done earlier on the laptop and restore the messages from that. I also have my contacts synced to my outlook account so even if i loose the backup file i always have the contacts saved.

Bummer, last time I did mine it jumbled all my contact pics up,
Did you not back yours up before you updated it ??

It's complex, I tried to use icloud to back my stuff up, but since I 'only' have 5GB from Apple, which the missus used 4.3GB of with her 'backedup' photos and video, the stupid computer didn't backup my stuff, as there wasn't enough room! Once my phone was update, I thought I'd cheat and use icloud to restore my stuff, but noooo, it restored my phone to my other halfs settings! Took me a while to figure out how to remove her from icloud backup. It's actually possible to lose all your contacts if you accidently press the wrong buttons!

Lucky for me, have most of my contacts on my simcard, but non of the ones I have put in the last 12 months!

Old backup on PC??
As ash said I always back up to PC only use iCloud to share images across all devices.
Cant trust them fruit people, they'll figure a way to use it to see if your JB'd.

:ninja: