Question for those that are Tdi's, chipped with DSG

marriedblonde

Reaction score

I'm trying to decide whether I should splash out and get my car Revo's, I have a couploe of concerns the main one being the amount of money for an unknow return.

How much difference does the software actually make to your car, I know I have 30 days to get the code removed with Revo but I don;t want to go to the hassle of getting it done to only be disappointed.

Also does the software upgrade help get over the intial pause when moving off from standstill. I imagine this is because of the Tdi engine not making much power until the turbo spins up. If it was a manual then you'd slip the clutch initially.

Any feedback gratefully recieved.

J.

OK I'm biased, but I like to think honest.....

It's much smoother, where there were gaps in take-up and around 4th are now gone. The Stage 1 & 2 setup means you can choose between performance and economy and outright performance. Switching back to std, shows how good the remap is, I don't remember the car being that slow but it was!

Easiest thing to do is either come up and try my car, or I'll try to get down to Southampton sometime in the next month. If you have the same code as cosmicblue and me, it means I already have the 2 Stage code, its 03G 906 016DT. If not you may have to wait a week or two to enable the Revo guys to catch up with the 2 Stage codes. The remap takes about 204 seconds as CanBus is way faster than serial port speeds.

im up for the remap mike in a couple of weeks as the cars in at mo having some warrantee work done

I'd agree with everything that MikeP has said there.

The Revo Stage1 remap is markedly smoother than the standard map and it gets rid of that embarrassing 'lurch' that the DSG TDI seems to have when trying to pull away quickly but without excessive haste. You will be familiar with that sensation that would lead your passengers to believe you passed your test just last week I'm sure.

Make no mistake though although smoother than the stock arrangement the Stage1 map is quick - very quick with an instantaneous punch in any gear - ripping through the 1st five ratios with indecent haste (and a huge grin).

I have just notched up 1000 miles since getting the latest Stage 1 map a week ago today and the brim to brim fuel economy works out at 44.95 mpg (mostly 80 mph motorway stuff), the DIS routinely shows 52mpg+ though as we all know the DIS is a tad optimistic!

This is about 3mpg better than the stock map's fuel consumption.

This could be the TDi's equivalent of having your cake and eating it.

Go for Stage1 and you won't regret it - ever.

Stage2 is slightly different - you may recall I posted the printouts of the 202.6 bhp/285ft/lb curves before Christmas? This map is just plain brutal - frankly too much for me, tanking down the motorway it was possible to get the fuel consumption into the mid-thirties as well, ultra quick though with the ability to get the ESP light on at 50mph.............

Stage1 is a good compromise, better fuel economy and 95% of the fun of Stage2.

Don't REVO offer the '5hours for free' coding?

Where you have a code put in and it switches off after 5 hours?

Its specifically for those that aren't sure.

I've had my switched back to stock before it goes to the dealers on Thursday. (i know it's not a TDI but...)

It is shocklingly bad! I will never buy a mere 200BHP car again, I don't know how i lived without 260bhp and 300lbft.

You notice the more subtle effects more when its taken off than when it was put on. The throttle response etc

I've just spent almost as much on a set of tyres!! And the code won't wear out in less than a year!! Or be at risk of destruction from nails etc!