Question for S3 owners out there..

brasiliangringo

Reaction score
I used to own a b5 s4, now toying with idea of buying an s3 or PD diesel 130 and remapping, but i love the looks of the S3..

1. I am curious to know anyone who has driven both cars in standard form - is there much of a difference in outright acceleration (vs s4) given the s3 is much lighter ? Im not expecting a fire breather, just a good all round package that has a little bit of poke when needed. The audis are hard to beat, especially given the seats and interior are so spot on. Would love to try an evo but the tacky interiors of all jap cars just put me off which is a shame and an old m3, well, i just cant stand the way the BMW rev and speedo are still all in orange and havent been updated since the 1800 century!

2. Was thinking about fitting an LPG kit to the S3 diy, so if anyone has any pointers let me know.

Last edited:
I addition, can you remap a 210 bhp s3 engine to the same power as a 225 bhp with remap and if so/not, what are the achievable outputs with everything else stock. (on petrol ;)

Can't help with the S4 and s3 comparison, but I do no the 210 and 225 models both remap to the same power

I'd expect a healthy s3 with no boost leaks or running issues to see a good 260-265bhp after a remap.

Am i right in saying the 225 has variable valve timing that the 210 doesnt (source : wiki) ? Whats the drive-ability difference if any..?

The AMK which is 210 also has VVT but earlier APY ones did not. There was a guy here who had an s4 and came back to an s3, i think if a remapped s3 was to go against the s4 then it would be pretty close although in my opinion i reckon the s4 would have the edge. From what you said, would you need the car for long distances and you also thought about a LPG conversion or a diesel?

From what you said, would you need the car for long distances and you also thought about a LPG conversion or a diesel?

Thanks. Yes, thats correct but LPG doesnt prevent any remapping - just does not give as much power, but is easier to pose the question here of 'how much...' if the car is being fueled on petrol then knock off 10-15% power for an lpg figure if you understand my thinking..

Last edited:
Remapped S3 vs standard S4 is close, then the S4 pulls away from 100mph onwards...

Am i right in saying the 225 has variable valve timing that the 210 doesnt (source : wiki) ? Whats the drive-ability difference if any..?

VVT has no effect on drive or power delivery, it's merely there for emmission purposes during the warm up of the car.

I had a mapped s4 and now have the mapped s3. The s3 in my opinion is pretty rapid and that's just with a remap and Badger v2 80mm TIP. Any comparison over 100mph is insignificant IMHO. Up to 100 the s3 will match the s4 all the way, assuming there are no boost leaks... Only car that would steer me away now is an RS4

Rolling start so theyre prob doing 60mph so by the time the s4 creeps
ahead they'll be pulling a tonne...

Rolling start so theyre prob doing 60mph so by the time the s4 creeps
ahead they'll be pulling a tonne...

Pretty impressive mid-range performance from the S4 I thought. Thats where i'd be wanting the extra too.